Life aboard Maxine

09 August 2010
04 July 2010
17 May 2010
17 May 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
10 February 2010
26 December 2009
24 December 2009
23 December 2009
23 December 2009
19 December 2009
10 December 2009
09 December 2009
09 December 2009
02 December 2009

An Embarrassing weekend

23 December 2009
August 20, 2009
We got up early and headed to NC. The traffic was light and we made good time. After unpacking and getting settled we headed over to The Silos for pizza. It was yummy! Then back to the boat and we turned in early.

August 21, 2009
We got up early and had a "chore day." Joe wanted to reseal around the chain plates as some water had leaked in last time we were here and we had the new air conditioner which had to be installed, Yeah!!! After lunch we headed over to Inner Banks to order new canvas for Maxine. They will do the sail cover now, but the doger and bimini will have to wait until January, which is fine with us. We came back swam in the pool and made a nice dinner in the cockpit.

August 22, 2009
We had a day of sailing planned, but wanted to stop by the office and pump out first. Well we hit the piling a little harder than planned much to the delight of the local fisherman's kids. His fishing boat is right at the entrance to the marina and is called Endurance. We heard them laughing and they told us they like to "rate" people when they come to pump out. Well, I'm sure we didn't get a good rating, though they wouldn,t tell us. Then we started out from the clubhouse towards the channel only to run aground right in front of the marina entrance. How embarrassing!!! The two boys were now howling with laughter. Luckily their Dad was home and came out in his whaler to pull us off. He was really nice and said it had happened many times before, but this didn't make us feel any better. Anyway, no harm was done, so we headed out. We had a great day of sailing and swam off the back when we anchored for lunch. When the afternoon thunder clouds started to roll in we headed for home and made it just before the storm. We ate below and watched a movie in the cool air from the new A/C, while it poured outside. We did see a new boat come in during the storm. It is really nice, classic looking boat. We'll have to go say hi tomorrow.

August 23, 2009
We woke to more clouds and rain so we decided to take the car and head over to Washington. We had lunch and walked around downtown. It was cloudy but not raining over there. We came back around dinner time and made a nice meal in the cockpit as the rain had stopped here too. While Joe was grilling, I tripped and put my hand out to stop my fall only to hit the gas grill. Well, I burned my palm pretty badly, but some red wine and lots of ice helped.

August 24, 2009
We woke to more clouds, but had to pack up and head home anyway. It was an uneventful trip home. Now we can start planning our next visit!
Comments
Vessel Name: Maxine
Vessel Make/Model: 35 Irwin Citation
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Jean & Joe Hurley
About: We are originally from Cape Cod, MA and learned to sail around the cape and Islands. We sailed a Hunter 30 until recently when we bought an Irwin 35 Citation in Tampa, Florida and sailed her to Oriental, NC.
Extra: We live in Flowery Branch, GA but will be commuting to NC for weekends and vacations.

Adventures Aboard Maxine

Who: Jean & Joe Hurley
Port: Oriental, NC