Mazu II

Adventures on MAZU

28 October 2022
26 October 2022 | Gulf Harbour Marina
26 October 2022 | Gulf Harbour Marina
22 October 2022
21 October 2022
21 October 2022
21 October 2022
08 October 2022
05 October 2022 | Norsands Marina Whangarei NZ
15 August 2022
27 December 2018 | Jamieson Bay, Mahurangi New Zealand
20 December 2018 | Matapouri New Zealand
20 December 2018 | Tutukaka New Zealand
18 December 2018 | Departing Bay of Islands

Hunga Haven

16 August 2018 | Hunga Island, Vava'u, Tonga
Sandra
I have been on the boat for a week now and we have been to 2-3 beautiful anchorages in the Vava'u group of islands in Tonga.

For the past few days we have been anchored in the quiet lake like lagoon in the Island of Hunga which is the most westerly island of the group.

The entrance to the lagoon is a narrow opening between two steep bluffs and there is a 10' high rock in the middle of the pass. When you listen on the radio to other sailors describing the pass it sounds quite treacherous but compared to the Tuamotus it was a breeze. We cleared through with at least 4' under our keel.

The lagoon which is between Hunga and Fafoa Islands is quite deep but we are fortunate enough to be on one of 3 mooring balls offered by the Hunga Haven Resort. Well, they call it a resort but it comprises a house for the owners and two VERY rustic cabins offered for rent. The "resort" is for sale if anyone is interested in escaping society and purchasing a tropical paradise. Barry, the owner, is a fellow Canadian and he kindly hosted a pot luck dinner by his campfire the other night. There were four other sailboats and one of the neighbours who attended. All interesting characters full of stories. We put together a curried vegetable dish in the thermos pot which fit in nicely with the other dishes. The next day however Mazu reeked like a campfire curry house. The neighbour, also named Pete, came over in his boat from his house on the "Blue Lagoon" which is on the south side of Fofoa Island. He brought a delicious fresh lettuce salad cut from his own garden. It is always a treat to find some fresh produce so when he invited us to come and see his garden we jumped at the opportunity. Lack of water is the main difficulty people here have for planting a garden. Pete collects rain water in a big cistern for his home use but he has an abandoned house foundation full of water on his neighbours property and he has set up a water pump to water his garden. It's fantastic! We baked some cookies and went to visit him for tea. You can imagine how happy I was when he gave me a pair of scissors and a plastic bag to go and cut fresh leaf lettuce, rocket, cillantro, basil, lemon grass and radishes from his garden. His tomatoes and cucumber are not ready yet but we have found those at the market. Pete and one of the locals are serious cricket players and are in the midst of recruiting a Tonga team for the Pacific Games competition next year.

We had only planned to stay in the lagoon a couple of days but we've had a couple cooler cloudy days and have been rather lazy. There are some nice sandy beaches here and some easy hikes over the hill to explore life in low tidal pools on the coral shore. Perhaps we will depart tomorrow for another idyllic anchorage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mazu II
Vessel Make/Model: Sinek 43
Hailing Port: Stevenson, WA USA
Crew: Peter Cosmann
Extra: Mazu II has a new owner! Stephen Gray from Stevenson, WA I will be delivering Mazu from New Zealand to Hawaii starting October/November 2022 and completing the second portion of the voyage to WA in early summer 2023.
Mazu II's Photos - Main
Sailing French Polynesia to New Zealand
74 Photos
Created 17 April 2018
Two months starting in Sydney, B.C. up the east coast of Vancouver Island through the inside passage and down the west coast of the island.
60 Photos
Created 30 March 2018
Our families came from Canada, New Zealand and South Africa to celebrate our wedding with us.
42 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
3 Photos
Created 21 October 2016