Adventure begins

Vessel Name: Pisces
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 37+
Hailing Port: Midland, Ontario, Canada
09 September 2018 | Home
24 April 2017
27 February 2017
27 February 2017
16 February 2017
14 February 2017
12 February 2017
30 January 2017
24 January 2017
24 January 2017
18 January 2017
13 January 2017
Recent Blog Posts
09 September 2018 | Home

We Listened

Ok, Ok we heard and listened from our family, friends and fellow yachties. the blog is officially back on line. the advanced (?) package should deliver better tracking and allow more photos and longer posts.

24 April 2017

Update

Its been sometime since our last post and although there are some holes which will be filled in later, we just wanted everyone to know that Pisces is now on the hard. We have her store for the summer at Clarks Court Marina on the south coast of Grenada.

St Martin, St Maarten and St Barth

31 March 2017

We anchored in Marigot Bay on the French side and were able to dingy through the lagoon to the Dutch side with no border guards, customs, immigration or port authority in sight. What a novel concept, maybe “The Donald” could be given a tour and implement the same between Canada and the USA. I know keep dreaming, Ken.

The Martins are a sailors candy store, you name the item or the repair its here and duty free. The two main chandleries are Budget Marine and Island Water World. If one doesn’t have what ever you are looking for there is more than a good chance the other does.

The Dutch side appears to be more developed with both the international airport and the main cargo port on its side of the island.

As mentioned in a previous blog report wine, cheese and baguettes have good price points. The shocker was laundry, $25 CDN to wash and dry.
St Martin has some of the qualities of Georgetown, Bahamas, Some individuals arrive and never leave. We met several ex-pats who are now part of the economy and will not be leaving soon. Mornings start with a cup of java and the cruisers net, much the same format as Georgetown. What we did notice is that the community feel was missing. Cruisers offered their skill sets for a price apposed to helping a fellow cruiser. Maybe its because of the constant turn over of boats.
Loogonies and the St Maarten Yacht Club are the two main meeting places for everyone connected to sailing and happy hours you will have flags from every part of the globe present. The yacht club has an extensive youth sailing school which operates all year. Their marketing slogan is “Purchase a T-shirt and provide a sailing lesson”.

The number of boats in the bay have doubled and its time to move onto St Barth’s. After filling up both the water and fuel tanks we’re off.

St Barthelemy

After a short 15 mile motor sail we catch a mooring ball in Gustavia harbour. Even though St Barths is a French island we are required to clear in once again. The port authority here charges for anchoring or a mooring ball only we are advised that all the mooring balls are private. We are moored to private property! Do we risk the return of the owner or move on. Its turning dark so we flip the coin and we stay, for two nights. We still had to pay.
One of the highlights of this adventure occurs here. We have arrived just after the completion of one of the mega yacht regattas and there are over a dozen sailboats over the 150’ mark. Each a work of art. One of which we passed as we entered the harbour was the Maltese Falcon, a three masted yacht which I have seen photos and read articles on but never in my dreams did I think I would actually get to see. Please Google her you won’t be disappointed. Sorry Gord there is not a wooden block or hemp line to be found on her. To trim the sails they rotate the masts!!!.
As for Gustavia lets just say its way over our budget. Rolex, Cartier, designer fashions and hand made shoes are in abundant supply for those 1% er’s amongst us.
St Barth was at one time part of Sweden and both the old Swedish and French forts are still present along with both governors homes which have been kept in remarkably good shape.
The winds are right for St Kitts so off the mooring ball, thanks to its owner, on onward to the next country.

The photo shows only a small amount of the sailboats in Marigot Bay.
Comments
Pisces's Photos - Main
Sailing to ??????
4 Photos
Created 21 December 2016
No Photos
Created 4 October 2015

About & Links