Adventure begins

Vessel Name: Pisces
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 37+
Hailing Port: Midland, Ontario, Canada
09 September 2018 | Home
24 April 2017
27 February 2017
27 February 2017
16 February 2017
14 February 2017
12 February 2017
30 January 2017
24 January 2017
24 January 2017
18 January 2017
13 January 2017
Recent Blog Posts
09 September 2018 | Home

We Listened

Ok, Ok we heard and listened from our family, friends and fellow yachties. the blog is officially back on line. the advanced (?) package should deliver better tracking and allow more photos and longer posts.

24 April 2017

Update

Its been sometime since our last post and although there are some holes which will be filled in later, we just wanted everyone to know that Pisces is now on the hard. We have her store for the summer at Clarks Court Marina on the south coast of Grenada.

Peter Island and Road Town

10 March 2017

Ten miles south of Jost Van Dyke after motoring down The Narrows and across Flanagan Passage we arrive in yet another White Bay. Motoring was required as the winds were still 20-25 knots from the east and Peter Island is east to south east for Jost Van Dyke. Peter Island is a privately owned island where villas go for $110K per week and a glass of wine starts at $15 per. However the owners permit cruisers to anchor and explore some of the island either snorkelling or hiking. We were able to anchor deep in within the bay in deep water, 30’, out of the majority of wind and chop. My Cay, a monohull who we had sailed from the Bahamas to the Turks and Caicos joined us. After catching up on each others travels, it’s time for the Sunset Trial, a 5 mile loop, up and over the top and back. The trial was actually a well maintained paved and gravel road so the walking was easier. As for the views, at one point we could see, Cooper, Tortola, St John, St Thomas and Norman Islands. At the half way mark a row of colourful Muskoka chairs are lined up arm to arm to allow a rest stop and I can only imagine the sunsets here with a glass of champagne and hor’derves. That evening a fireworks display equal to those back home was provided, however its not a holiday and its the middle of the week which leaves the question of why. The next day after queries to the staff of the resort we are told that one of the quest was hosting a private gathering of 45 people and requested the display. Cost, if you have to ask you shouldn’t be here.

The short run to Road Town was done with only the jib flying and once again the winds are 20-25 knots out of the east. All our weather resources tell us that a major blow is coming and we take a slip at Village Cay Marina. All the necessities for cruising are within walking distance, including groceries and chandeliers. We have now been here a week during which the weather was upgraded to a tropical storm. At one point the winds were over 35 knots and the squalls just kept coming through every couple of hours. Mother Nature has bathed Pisces with a abundance of fresh water and I don’t think there is a grain of salt left on her.

This unplanned stoppage has allowed for some maintenance on Pisces. The starboard bow light has been acting up for sometime now. Sometimes its on and sometimes its off. Time to replace it? Hum maybe. Locating and purchasing a new build has not been an issue. However at $50 US plus 35% to convert to Canadian, I don’t think so. I discover that the lead contacts on the bulb have worn down and the bulb is moving in the housing. Time to McGiver a solution, build up the contacts with some soldier and presto problem solved and $50 still in my pocket. Now where is that wine store?

its Friday, March 10th and there is a short weather window to St Martin tomorrow. Winds are predicted to be from 60-90 degrees at 15-17 knots, with seas at 5’ at 8 sec intervals. We require a heading of 110-120 degrees to St Martin, so not quite on the nose. This is a 80 mile run on the rhum line, however with tacking that could increase to 100 easily.

We are ready. All tanks, water and diesel are full, cleared out of customs, course laid in and meals prepared. The account at the marina balanced. This could be a bumpy one and if we find it not as predicted then there is a good chance of returning to Road Town. The one good thing is this is the final east bound leg of this adventure, thank goodness.

Next stop, St Martin and southward
Comments
Pisces's Photos - Main
Sailing to ??????
4 Photos
Created 21 December 2016
No Photos
Created 4 October 2015

About & Links