Merlin to the Bahamas

25 October 2014 | Deltaville Boatyard
16 October 2014 | Deltaville
15 October 2014 | Deltaville
14 October 2014 | Solomons Island
13 October 2014 | Rhode River
16 April 2012 | Home
15 April 2012 | Tangier Island
15 April 2012 | Cape Charles City Harbor
12 April 2012 | Portsmouth, VA
12 April 2012 | Great Dismal Swamp
12 April 2012 | Elizabeth City
10 April 2012 | Alligator River
10 April 2012 | Gale Creek
10 April 2012 | Swansboro
06 April 2012 | Topsail Island
05 April 2012 | Bald Head Island
03 April 2012 | Georgetown SC
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston

Back in the Bay

15 April 2012 | Cape Charles City Harbor
Sheryl / Cool with light wind
We contacted friends of ours about going to Cape Charles. We hadn’t been there in probably 25 years, or more. At that time, things were pretty rundown, and we just never made it back that way. This time, we were told we were coming at the perfect time—there was a Blessing of the Fleet on Friday evening, a Pirates and Wenches Ball on Saturday, and a Navy Patrol Craft would be there for the ceremony.

It was pretty chilly in the morning, though, and I wanted to go to the bakery that didn’t open until 7:30, so we didn’t leave Portsmouth until about 8 30. The wind was light, but on our noses, so we motored the whole way there. When we got outside the harbor, Wes called the marina to get our directions. When no one answered, I called on the cell phone, and got an answering machine. Not too calming! However, we were hailed on the VHF shortly thereafter, and given directions. After refueling and getting a pumpout at the marina, we were safely in our slip by 3 p.m. with our friend there to greet us, and give us directions about the town.

We started off on our walk, going over the railroad tracks and along the bay beach. Yes, there’s a working railroad track, and dock for loading/unloading from railcar to ship. And, there were people out enjoying the beach, despite the cool wind. We encountered a number of historic homes, and then walked over to the “jelly bean” houses within the Bay Creek Marina area, a new facility with brightly colored homes, shops, and a wonderful restaurant.

We also found a nice park, and made it back to the marina to freshen up before the Blessing ceremony. The ceremony was well-attended, and included the Navy Patrol Craft, the singing of Amazing Grace, and appropriate ministers. Afterwards, there was a DeeJay with lots of good music, beer and food, but we had opted for spending the evening with our friends. After touring the 2 golf courses (Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus designed), we had a delicious meal at Aqui, in the Bay Creek Marina. After dinner, we adjourned for coffee at our friends’ house, and discovered it was a 1900s Historic Home—very lovely.

Our lat/long to look us up on Google Earth at the Cape Charles Town Harbor is: 37°15.874'N 076°01.043'W.

The picture is of a Reddish Egret, and Willet on Dauphin Island. Note the pink in the bill, indicative of an adult bird.

Comments
Vessel Name: Merlin
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Hood 38 MkII
Hailing Port: Annapolis, Maryland
Crew: Sheryl & Wes
About:
Sheryl & Wes have been sailing together for over 30 years while juggling work and family responsibilities. Now we're off on extended cruising adventures. [...]
Extra: Other activities enjoyed include hiking, biking, skiing, snorkeling, and reading.

Far From the Sea

Who: Sheryl & Wes
Port: Annapolis, Maryland