Merlin to the Bahamas

25 October 2014 | Deltaville Boatyard
16 October 2014 | Deltaville
15 October 2014 | Deltaville
14 October 2014 | Solomons Island
13 October 2014 | Rhode River
16 April 2012 | Home
15 April 2012 | Tangier Island
15 April 2012 | Cape Charles City Harbor
12 April 2012 | Portsmouth, VA
12 April 2012 | Great Dismal Swamp
12 April 2012 | Elizabeth City
10 April 2012 | Alligator River
10 April 2012 | Gale Creek
10 April 2012 | Swansboro
06 April 2012 | Topsail Island
05 April 2012 | Bald Head Island
03 April 2012 | Georgetown SC
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston
31 March 2012 | heading towards Charleston

Off to the Keys!

13 October 2014 | Rhode River
Sheryl; Rainy and Gusty
And, we're off...?
Funny, I went to start this blog, and I happened on the one when we left for the Bahamas. All about last minute issues--business as usual, I guess. This year's issues were, of course different. First, we removed the parts needed to repair the traveler and mainsheet. That didn't work--couldn't find a new part, couldn't find anyone to repair it. And, when we got back from Peru, ready to start getting the boat prepped--we couldn't find the part! It had been rattling around in the back of Wes' car for a month--now it was nowhere to be seen. Finally, Friday morning, Wes found it in the bike baskets, with our helmets and other biking paraphernalia. So he went to work trying to straighten it, redo ball bearings (such cursing!), etc. The plan was still to leave Saturday. Thursday evening, I came home from the grocery store, thought I would save us some loading and reloading, and took the cold goods down to the boat fridge. Wes was on the boat, and after I left, he decided the frig had stopped working. Brought everything back up to the house, and started looking on line for a new fridge.

He was really on top of things Friday morning--in addition to finding the part, he decided the fridge WAS working, probably. So, somehow, despite the pouring rain Saturday morning, we cast off about 2 pm. The rain was mostly a drizzle by then, but it was cloudy and cool. The wind we had, though, was from the right direction--north!

We motorsailed down to the Rhode River while I was down below, bouncing up and down, and trying to figure out where we were going to stow all the STUFF. Discovered several bathing suits, among other duplications, already on the boat. (and I had tried so hard to pare things down.)

As we were approaching the Rhode River, Wes saw Starlight Express (the Jackins' boat) pop up on AIS, and then disappear. Moments later, it reappeared. So, when we got into the anchorage area, it was no surprise to see them rafted with 2 other boats from one of their other cruising clubs. They invited us over for drinks. Our only other plan was trying to stow things on the boat, so we chose drinks. But, we didn't want to mount the dinghy engine, which would then have to be stowed before the next morning, for the short trip. Decided to try out our new oar locks. Rowing is sooo much easier when the oars stay in the locks! Had a nice time, met Maryann & Al, Betty & Don, and enjoyed everyone's hospitality--and the warmth from all the candles.

Halfway back to Merlin, I realized my mahimahi buff was missing--I had left it on the boat. So, Wes turned around, rowed us back (he's getting pretty good at this!), and we turned the boat upside down, but no buff. Decided I must have had it attached to me, and it fell off sometime between leaving their boat and getting in the dinghy.

Back to Merlin to try to get the frozen chunk of homemade chicken noodle soup into a pan (success!), and cook up our dinner.
The next morning dawned sunny, windy and cool. Great day to be headed south. After taking forever to clean the mud off the anchor, we were going to swing by Starlight Express, see if we could find my buff in the daylight, and drop off a chart for them. With all that wind, trying to approach with Merlin looked like an accident waiting to happen. I grabbed a life jacket and got in the dinghy (pretty excited, I could see my bright green & yellow buff dangling from the Jackins' swim ladder), and Wes was supposed to hand me the chartbook. Guess he forgot while he was driving Merlin and casting off the dinghy line. I was now adrift, trying to figure out how to get the oars loose so I could row. Wes was shouting directions, and they finally worked. Managed to get to Starlight Express, tie myself on, get my buff--but I was still missing the chartbook Wes wanted to leave with them. He drove by in Merlin, and wanted to toss the 20"X 15" book at me, pages flapping in the wind--until he figured out that would just lose us the chartbook. So, back around for another pass--and, despite me shoving Merlin off so it didn't hit Starlight Express, we connected. Rowed back to Merlin, and by 8:45, we were on our way to Solomons, hoping to meet the Masiellos for dinner tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Merlin
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Hood 38 MkII
Hailing Port: Annapolis, Maryland
Crew: Sheryl & Wes
About:
Sheryl & Wes have been sailing together for over 30 years while juggling work and family responsibilities. Now we're off on extended cruising adventures. [...]
Extra: Other activities enjoyed include hiking, biking, skiing, snorkeling, and reading.

Far From the Sea

Who: Sheryl & Wes
Port: Annapolis, Maryland