MegaHurts

Laser 28

17 August 2010
21 July 2010
21 July 2010
20 July 2010
19 July 2010
19 July 2010
18 July 2010
17 July 2010
16 July 2010
15 July 2010
13 July 2010
12 July 2010
11 July 2010
11 July 2010

How many hours:

11 July 2010
Bert
It's a bit blurry. Today is the...that's in the daily check in book...the 11th, Ta-Da; and the time is 126 P.M.. BANG, bang goes the winch, spinnaker's up, constant attention on the sheet to keep the rail out of the water and the boat flat. Zoom, Zoom.

Finished driving, came down to make some lunch. I'm told the cook doesn't get a day off for another 8 days. Well, I know who's buying then, or at least who's not buying. Green eggs and ham. Green from the avocado, of course; the ham being the prosciutto, of course. But the propane runs out. Dig, dig. Our wonderful quaint living space is now a mess of wet things; with a layer of wet on top and a pile of where did it go on the side. Oddly enough, it's just where Garrett said it would be. Now to change it. Put harness on, strap in, back to the cockpit. Clip in, duck the line; weave through the main sheet. Oh, looks like the spinnaker sheet is stuck on the main again, that's a tough one. Zoom Zoom. You're going to have to move your foot, so I can get in the locker. Huh? Oh yeah, that foot you're bracing yourself with, while you push the wood thing back and forth that keeps us upright and directional, yes that foot. Sneak in, open locker. Wood thing in the back. Adjust posture. Remove old propane can. Place new can in. Wood thing in the back, bracing foot against my knee. Adjust posture. Hmmm, not screwing in right; ah yes, umm hum screw. Close lid; extract self from area.

This is how we got the spinnaker sheet off last time... That was easier this time with three.

Finish cooking some eggs. Take Ed's spinnaker sheet so he can eat. Garrett food? Fine, wait; see if I care. Feed myself. Sure Ed, I'll grab ya a water. HM (Ed?) try this, lemonade. Think he's had one cup of coffee, the rest water, and now one lemonade. In how many days?

Zoom Zoom. Boat goes humdrum; water: his flushhh pish pis;
boat: hummnnnmm huuummmn. Zoom Zoom, splash, bang bang.

Sorry I haven't figured out how to attach the pictures out of the phone yet. Raspberries to you.

The race. We're still in it, but we need today to be good, for morale, not general morale. We love being stinky, wet, tired, and wet and stinky. Did I mention our bucket? No the general morale's pretty good. Zoom Zoom is fun, exciting. We are in an amazing place. Dolphins breaking the wave crest. Big waves, angry, fun to surf. Dolphins up in the air, explosive water thrust, must be fishing. I was going to put the lure down today but...

The race. When the scores came in yesterday morning, we were only a little disappointed. They got to the wind first; we had four or eight hours of slower travel, so that we are right in it is good. Yesterday we had the spinnaker up, a bit like this not quite as fast today, and we should do great; gain some ground. But after 6hrs of zoom, zoom the spinnaker had taken us far enough south, we thought it prudent to put the jib up so as we could head straight west. Still fast. Garrett called it a wild bronco ride. Topped out at 12knots boat speed with a single reef (and) number 3 jib, about 60 degrees off the weather. Anyway, the point is our daily distance got screwed by maintaining our northerly position (tactical decision). Today we have the spinnaker back up, Zoom cubed. Think we'll probably burn up our north savings and put in good numbers for the sake of morale. Who knows?

Got to get my hour of sleep.

Chow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Megahurts
Vessel Make/Model: Laser 28
Hailing Port: Humboldt Bay, CA
Crew: Ed Mattson, Bert Martin, Garrett Coonrod

MegaHurts

Who: Ed Mattson, Bert Martin, Garrett Coonrod
Port: Humboldt Bay, CA