MegaHurts

Laser 28

17 August 2010
21 July 2010
21 July 2010
20 July 2010
19 July 2010
19 July 2010
18 July 2010
17 July 2010
16 July 2010
15 July 2010
13 July 2010
12 July 2010
11 July 2010
11 July 2010

Bert the Blogger is down for a day or so:

14 July 2010
Alice, Bert's mom
I'm sure you've seen/heard that the wind is roaring out there and the seas are huge and confused. Megahurts has taken her share and the crew is working hard and sleeping little.

I got a call from Bert this evening--20:30 here in Holland, 11:30 Pacific Daylight--not sure what time zone Megahurts is in. Not sure I asked enough questions to get all the news or get it right but here is my understanding:

The latest is that Bert got hit on the head with the boom when they did a "chicken gybe" ie. they tack twice before the wind rather than trying to swing the boat through and the main over when the wind is behind the boat to change directions downwind. The purpose of the chicken gybe is to avoid the force when the boom swings across the boat from full out to full out on the other side in lots of wind. Who would think you would get hit by the boom anyway. Well in enough wind, its hard to control that boom even in a chicken gybe and Bert's head got in the way twice--once on the side and once on his forehead. Ed has him taped up and sitting below staying awake. Bet he'll have another scar. His first trip to the hospital for stitches was for a cut between his eyebrows, he was only 2--boy did I feel guilty about that one! He tripped on our brick steps because his yellow slicker was too long.

Yesterday was also exciting and slowed them down--a round down ripped the spinnaker pole of the mast at the track fitting. Mast is ok: they think they can fix the track. I gather the spinnaker is back up again or at least was earlier.

I gathered it was a different roll that got Ed drenched by a wave while he and Garrett were on watch, he managed to stay on the boat--so all was well.

They are still racing, 800 miles from Hawaii, making about 180 miles a day. If this keeps up, they will be there in 5 days. I gather they are taking it easy for a bit, but Bert is hoping they'll be back in full racing trim soon.

Bert has done his share of taking care of crew. Being the one on the bunk is new. Hope for all three of them he bounces back soon!
Comments
Vessel Name: Megahurts
Vessel Make/Model: Laser 28
Hailing Port: Humboldt Bay, CA
Crew: Ed Mattson, Bert Martin, Garrett Coonrod

MegaHurts

Who: Ed Mattson, Bert Martin, Garrett Coonrod
Port: Humboldt Bay, CA