20 May 2007
29 June 2006
26 June 2006
21 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006

Faq 11

13 April 2005
JeanneP
QUESTION:
My question is the laundromats, what coins or bills do they take?
What advice do you have when you leave you boat at anchorage to go ashore.
How much clothing do we really need?
We are a bit concerned about theft?
Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.


ANSWER:
Last first. Theft has become a bigger problem now than it was 15 years ago, and there were places then that one worried. St. Martin, both sides, seems to have the worse reputation for thieves, though the Virgins, particularly the USVI, also a problem. When we were there in the 80s we only locked our boat when we went ashore in St. Martin. Nowadays, I think I'd lock it anywhere we went.

Laundromats. Back when we were there, there weren't many. I did our laundry in a five-gallon bucket on the boat. Some laundromats use tokens rather than coins. French Islands' laundry/laundromats are very expensive. Most islands you could usually find a local to do your laundry. BUT BEWARE. I was ripped off in Dominican Republic and friends were charged $100 EC to have their laundry done in Grenada. First day of landfall, scout out the places and talk to the yachties already there. Nevis, Antigua, Dominica are all pretty reasonable and safe (Dominica is improving). St. Kitts was never very nice, and apparently that hasn't changed much. The other islands, I'm just not sure anymore.

Tobago (as in Trinidad & Tobago, not the Tobago Cays of St. Vincent) is a bit out of the way and hard to get to, but in my opinion has the nicest people and is one of the loveliest islands. But it is a tough place to be, as well, as it is oriented East/West, so you are vulnerable to nasty Northern swells in the winter, and the constant southern swell all the time. Still, there are some protected and lovely anchorages - you just have to be a bit more careful. If Bagshaws is still in Castries, St. Lucia, you might like to visit and buy some of the lovely cottons there. Antigua also has really nice cotton shirts and dresses (in St. John).

Clothing. Don't take a lot. You will need a pullover or light sweater or jacket for cool nights and night passages. During the day you won't want to wear much, and you don't want to have to carry a lot of dirty laundry. I used to wear sports bras and men's swimming shorts as clothing - loose shirt or cotton shift over it when we went ashore. Sailed in it, when we anchored I'd just jump overboard with mask & snorkel. Easier than changing - didn't. You will find that you'll want to buy t-shirts, etc. in the various islands as souvenirs, so the less you carry, the less you'll have to find places to stow. Life is VERY casual, you could wear the same thing for four days in a row and the only people who would notice or know would be your family. You're going to meet a lot of different people in a lot of different places and they're not going to know that you've been wearing the same three outfits for the last 5 months.

However, laundry being a problem a lot of the time, I'd have at least 7 t-shirts or other shirts, 3 pairs of shorts, 2 bathing suits. At least one long-sleeved shirt to keep the sun away. A hat. Go short of clothes, buy things as you go along. With four people aboard, you probably should follow the rule of having a place to stow something before you buy it. We had to throw something out before buying anything new.

ALWAYS hang damp/wet clothes or towels out immediately. The morning sun and the nice trade winds will dry things quickly, but if you leave wet clothes below they, and the boat, are going to smell badly very quickly. Laundry hung out after noontime might not dry. Laundry hung out in the morning is usually dry before noontime. I know, it doesn't really make sense. But that's how I always found it.

Wash the interior with diluted vinegar once a week. Rinse/soak your feet in vinegar once a week or so (to keep athlete's foot and other fungus infections at bay). When you get out of the US islands buy a bottle of full-strength Selsun (it's in a yellow bottle) - for skin fungus/head fungus (dandruff!). Read directions and don't obsess on it, but it will come in handy. If anybody has a sour smelling body odor (you'll know it the first time you smell it), bathe with the Selsun - that usually takes care of it. Joy Liquid is the preferred body/hair shampoo, dishwashing liquid. Works in salt water - wash, rinse, then rinse the salt out with a little fresh water. My hair was always shiny and soft, and I only used "Joy".

It's hard to remember, but you all should always put on sun block (SPF 15 should be the MINIMUM). Slap that on every single day and you will still have an exceedingly dark tan after several weeks in the Caribbean.

There are a few very polluted harbors. Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas used to be one of the worst. For those, I would suggest that when you get back to the boat after being ashore that you take your shoes off before stepping into the cockpit. When in one of the dirty harbors we kept a plastic dishpan at the stern of the Watermelon with a little water and Lysol (mild, mild solution) that we rinsed our feet in as we stepped out of the dinghy. Careful here. As great as I believe Lysol to be, I'm allergic to it and so have to use it sparingly.

I do go on a bit, don't I? I hope this answers your questions, and if not, please write again.

Fair winds,
Jeanne
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Fizz
Hailing Port: THE TROPICS
About: Jeanne and Peter Pockel - Cruising in the Tropics
Extra: We left Boston in 1986 to go cruising for a few years. Sixteen years later we are still "cruising for a few years".
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/melon/?xjMsgID=3624

YACHT WATERMELON

Port: THE TROPICS