20 May 2007
29 June 2006
26 June 2006
21 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006
20 June 2006

Summer sailing?

05 October 2005
JeanneP
QUESTION:
My daughter wonders if it is possible to maka a summer sailing adventure? Yes of course. Her wish would be to sail directly from Connecticut to Barbados. In a perfect world the beginning of july, maybe from Bridgeport. Quickly down to her destination, any port in Barbodos. Coming home would be up for grabs, a month later, if something or somewhere were especially interesting. What would be the fastest voyage and what would be a time frame for the liesurely return? .

Answer:
I'm not sure what you are looking for. Do you have a sailboat that you wish to sail to the Caribbean during hurricane season? On a 40-foot sailboat, it would take about 2 weeks, probably longer, to sail from Bridgeport to Barbados. That's assuming there are no hurricanes brewing. Sailing up the Caribbean chain would take a few weeks, and then there's the return to the US, another 10 to 14 days from the USVI or Puerto Rico. Most cruisers take their boat out of the Caribbean for hurricane season (June 1 to December 1). It is possible to charter a boat during the summer season, but naturally the charter could be cancelled at the last minute if a hurricane threatened. The odds aren't that high, but it is a possibility.

Is she looking, instead, for a crew position on a sailboat now in the Caribbean? Then, perhaps, she should post to the Cruiser Log Crewfinder. http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4

I hope this has been helpful.

Fair winds,
Jeanne
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Fizz
Hailing Port: THE TROPICS
About: Jeanne and Peter Pockel - Cruising in the Tropics
Extra: We left Boston in 1986 to go cruising for a few years. Sixteen years later we are still "cruising for a few years".
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/melon/?xjMsgID=3624

YACHT WATERMELON

Port: THE TROPICS