Jeff & Susan's Adventure II

14 May 2013 | Little Grand Cay
06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
21 April 2013 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
11 April 2013 | Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera
16 March 2013 | Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Exumas
25 February 2013
19 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 January 2013 | Wellington, FL
19 December 2012 | Home
04 December 2012 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
27 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
22 November 2012 | St. Mary's Georgia
19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
14 November 2012 | Hilton Head Island
03 November 2012 | Onslow Beach Bride, NC
29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC

SANDY

29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC
Susan/ Tropical Storm
We left the safe and snug Hampton City Marina on 10/22 and took a quick jaunt thru the busy Norfolk/Portsmouth shipping lanes to Hospital Point anchorage. We had a close up view of a Carnival Cruise Lines ship anchored at Norfolk; what was really interesting was watching the captain make a 3-point turn in a narrow channel to take the ship out to sea. Turned on a dime!! Left early the next morning to make the bridge opening (one of 100's? to come on the ICW). Meltemi decided to go the "Dismal Swamp" route. This land cut was actually an idea of George Washington's to expedite shipping of lumber, tobacco and other crops in pre-Revolutionary days. It has a reputation for being shallow and full of debris, but we got thru fine. It was interesting going thru 2 locks--one raised us 9 feet and further down the canal, we were lowered 8 feet. Spent the night at the North Carolina Visitors Center where about 20 boats were tied up. Had a chance to take a nice 3 mile walk along the canal and wake up all the joints and muscles!

We noticed that once we entered North Carolina, the weather improved. We took down the platic enclosure over our cokpit and changed into shorts and tee shirts. It really was beautiful, especially the further south we went. Completely pristine waterway with lovely forests alongside and lots of bends and curves in the waterway. Arrived in Elizabeth City, NC where the key word was FREE. The city loves boaters and offers free dockage, free bicycles, a free welcome cocktail party and we were lucky enough to see a free dress rehearsal of the Sound of Music at their cultural center.

After picking up a package at the post office, we got a later start than our fellow cruisers. But the weather was perfect, so we continued for 51 miles to Deep Creek. For non- sailors, this trip took 7 hours!! Now we were starting to hears rumors about a tropical storm. This doesn't happen late in October, we all thought.

Well, by now you guys are probably all preparing for Sandy's visit to New England and points north and west. We got to this marina on Friday afternoon and have been holed up waiting for a safe time to leave. The winds and rain were about as predicted, but we have been safe. The marina has a great rec room and about 20 boats have turned into an adult camp. We have had yoga every morning, followed by a ICW briefing. After lunch someone gives talk about something technical and at 5:30 we have cocktails.

All in all, a pretty pleasant way to pass this enforced stop. Everyone has gone shopping, done laundry and completed small boat projects. Today, Monday, 10/29, we are starting to get antsy, as the weather has slacked off. The forecast for today is for the water to flush out of the Pamlico River and we may be aground before that is finished. The winds will still be gusting to 40 mph on Tuesday, so it looks like we won't have good window to leave until at least Wednesday--Trick or Treat?

We'll let you know soon. Stay safe at home and Happy Halloween!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Meltemi
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MKII
Hailing Port: Wickford, RI
Crew: Jeff & Susan Mahall

Who: Jeff & Susan Mahall
Port: Wickford, RI