Jeff & Susan's Adventure II

14 May 2013 | Little Grand Cay
06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
30 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
24 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor
21 April 2013 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Bahamas
11 April 2013 | Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera
16 March 2013 | Volleyball Beach, Georgetown, Exumas
25 February 2013
19 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
16 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 January 2013 | Wellington, FL
19 December 2012 | Home
04 December 2012 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
27 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
22 November 2012 | St. Mary's Georgia
19 November 2012 | St. Simon's, GA
14 November 2012 | Hilton Head Island
03 November 2012 | Onslow Beach Bride, NC
29 October 2012 | Dowry Creek, Belhaven, NC

Unsettled Weather

06 May 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
Beautiful Again!
May 1 through May 6
Once we got our package from UPS we booked it out of Marsh Harbor. Today we had a slightly longer trip, about 22 miles. As usual, we were able to sail the whole way—still amazes us!!! We opted to anchor off the settlement of New Plymouth, founded circa 1786. This is a Loyalist settlement from the Revolutionary War times. Walking through the village we saw little change from 9 years ago. There was however, some hurricane damage from Sandy. Reconnected with several boats here and had a great time.
The highlight was the Island Roots Heritage Festival. We were here for the first annual one, 9 years ago. It has really grown now. There were craftsman booths, food booths, films, contests and entertainment. As always, the Royal Bahamian Defense Band put on quite a show. The drum major was quite a character and really loved his job! Lunch was a lobster tail with the usual Bahamian “sides” of peas and rice, mac ‘n cheese, and coleslaw. Jeff and I headed back to boat to rest before the evening’s schedule of bands. Just as we were getting ready to dinghy back, we looked south and saw a waterspout. The scene was fascinating; the spout was very wide and made a funnel down to the horizon, then it got sucked upwards, then it reformed. You can see it on You Tube; look for Green Turtle Cay tornado, 5/3/13 and choose the 11 minute video. Some friends in the other anchorage were much closer and saw debris swirling around their boats. They were on mooring and had their engines running. Wow!
Next day, the weather continued unsettled with big cloud banks building up, torrential downpours, then sunshine. We managed to get to the festival and see some great music from legend Eddie Minnis and then the highlight, the Junkanoo “rush”. This is a parade typically held at New Year’s to chase out the evil spirit from the previous year and start with a clean slate. There are mardi gras type costumes with lots of sparkles and feathers and the “music” is a primitive percussion beat of drums, whistles and bells. Tons of fun.
On Sunday, lots of folks took off. There were many land visitors from Key West, Green Turtle’s sister city, as well as natives of Green Turtle who return for the fun. Weather was still unsettled with more heavy, occasional rain; most boaters took off this morning, Monday. We are waiting for the tide to rise and then we’ll go fill up with fuel and water; this is most likely our last opportunity til we reach the US. Later this afternoon we’ll head to Manjack Cay for some quiet time and hopefully some snorkeling tomorrow once the sea has settled down from all the storms. I took a long walk into town and the beach. Jeff went to the bank, which is only open 2 days a week for 4 hours per day. We then went over to the Leeward Yacht Club on Black Sound for lunch. A couple from FL invited us to join them. They were self professed “crackers” and big time hunters. We got an hour full of a hunter’s travelogue. Very interesting people who happen to own property here. It’s in a nice area and is available to rent!
Comments
Vessel Name: Meltemi
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MKII
Hailing Port: Wickford, RI
Crew: Jeff & Susan Mahall

Who: Jeff & Susan Mahall
Port: Wickford, RI