Adventures of S/V Interlude

15 April 2018 | Southport, North Carolina
11 April 2018 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
03 April 2018 | Titusville, FL
27 March 2018 | Biscayne Bay, No Name Harbor
19 March 2018 | Naval Air Station Key West Marina at Boca Chica
13 March 2018 | Key West Garrison Bight Mooring Field
10 March 2018 | Key West Mooring Field
08 March 2018 | Boca Chica Marina, Naval Air Station Key West
28 February 2018 | No Name Harbor in Biscayne Bay
24 February 2018 | Fort Lauderdale
12 February 2018 | Lake Worth
08 February 2018
01 February 2018 | Boynton Beach Harbor Marina
26 January 2018
20 January 2018 | Fernandina Beach FL Mooring Field
16 January 2018 | Charleston City Marina
04 January 2018

Living On The Hook

12 February 2018 | Lake Worth
Friday, February 9, 2018

Tom and Pat dropped us off in the morning and we got Interlude ready to get underway. It’s time to get in cruising mode again after a week ashore. We filled our water tanks and stored our fresh laundry. One thing we noticed when we arrived was that the boat had sand on the deck. It appears that the lawn crew had done a great job mowing and blowing and didn’t bother being careful around the dock. So out comes the broom and then Interlude got a quick fresh water rinse before getting underway. We could have done without all that extra work. We’re underway at 1145 so we can time the tide and our first bridge opening. The transit back up to Lake Worth is about 4 hrs and 5 bridges. President Trump is in DC so we don’t need to worry about additional patrols when we pass through the Presidential Exclusion Zone. We arrive in the Lake Worth area around 1615 and pull into the Old Port Marina to pump out our waste tank since we’ll be at anchor for the next 2 weeks. The anchorage is fairly full but we find a spot next to Chaser, a Benateau Oceanis 381 that’s waiting for weather to cross over to the Bahamas.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Last night was nice. Unlike the last time we were here. Today’s mission was to lower the dinghy and check out the dinghy landing. Lynn is not cleared to ride in the dinghy until Friday. It’s not far in a canal that leads into another lake surrounded by a gated community. The dinghy landing is on a beach exposed at low tide with a little beach left at high tide. I decided to play it safe and go in a low tide. I’d read on Active Captain (a crowdsourcing website for boaters) that the dinghy landing is a high theft area so I’m prepared with my lock and cable. After landing the dinghy I walk up an embankment and walk about 5 minutes to a shopping center with a Publix, CVS, sports bar, etc… I grab a few things and head back to the dinghy. Back at the boat, Lynn is relaxing in the cockpit in her bathing suit with a book. In the evening we enjoy some grits with a tomato and veggie topping (and for me an Italian sausage) and catch up on our Netflix shows (downloaded to our laptop when we have WIFI).

Sunday, February 11, 2018

It’s windier this morning and our anchor alarm keeps going off. I’m trying a new anchor alarm app (Anchor) since the old one we used (Drag Queen) is no longer supported by the newer iOS’s. I’m still getting used to it so I have to keep adjusting the alarm range. Yesterday when I took the dinghy ashore, I forgot to turn off the anchor alarm. So as soon as I left the boat, my phone started to explode with sirens. It was kind of annoying but a little funny too.

I had to stop writing because the boat next to us, Chaser, was dragging anchor. I just looked over there and everything was fine, a moment later… Luckily, they have everything under control with their engine on and the husband at the bow raising the anchor. They reset the anchor, but now they are closer and I think they will present a problem when the winds shift to the east in about 36 hrs. I contemplate taking the dinghy over and ask him how much anchor chain he has out…. Maybe we’ll be okay. I decide to hold off and see how things settle. The anchorage is crowded and tomorrow morning I’m hedging my bet that several boats will leave, making it easier for me to relocate. With everything settled down, it’s time for a dinghy ride in for chips and salsa (nacho night!).

Monday, February 10, 2018

Sure enough, several boats come and go this morning. So by noon, with Lynn at the helm, we weigh anchor and find a better spot where all the boats around us should swing together and not go bump in the night. After we secure from the anchor drill, it’s time for lunch. Just another lazy day so far. Looking forward to Happy Hour and tortellini’s for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 380
Hailing Port: Southport NC
Crew: Bob and Lynn Menches
About: Follow us as we make our way from Southport, NC to the beautiful Abaco Islands in the Bahamas!
Interlude's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 20 January 2018