Adventures of S/V Interlude

15 April 2018 | Southport, North Carolina
11 April 2018 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
03 April 2018 | Titusville, FL
27 March 2018 | Biscayne Bay, No Name Harbor
19 March 2018 | Naval Air Station Key West Marina at Boca Chica
13 March 2018 | Key West Garrison Bight Mooring Field
10 March 2018 | Key West Mooring Field
08 March 2018 | Boca Chica Marina, Naval Air Station Key West
28 February 2018 | No Name Harbor in Biscayne Bay
24 February 2018 | Fort Lauderdale
12 February 2018 | Lake Worth
08 February 2018
01 February 2018 | Boynton Beach Harbor Marina
26 January 2018
20 January 2018 | Fernandina Beach FL Mooring Field
16 January 2018 | Charleston City Marina
04 January 2018

Key West Adventures

13 March 2018 | Key West Garrison Bight Mooring Field
Saturday, March 10, 2018

This is our 3rd trip to Key West. The first two times were in 2010 and 2011 when we participated in an open water swim around Key West (12 miles). We were part of a 5 and 6 person relay team. After both swims we hung out for a day in Key West before driving back to Isle Of Palms. This will be our longest visit to Key West and we're looking forward to doing more things. We got a late start Saturday, which was okay. After a nice shower ashore, we headed over to the United Methodist Church to check out their annual yard sale. Luckily, we didn't find anything we couldn't live without. Then we biked off to the other side of the island to the 'Food Truck in Paradise' Food Truck Rodeo. There were about 10 trucks, a beer tent and live music. I had an awesome Jerk shrimp bowl with coconut rice, beans, slaw and carrots. Lynn had the same but a veggie version. The music was great. The highlight was a local music school with a group of kids called "School of Rock", like the movie. They played some classic rock and then did a couple of songs with everyone playing the ukulele. On the way back to the dinghy we dropped in at Waterfront Brewery for a quick beer before heading back to the boat.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

We make a plan to go to church this morning and head out about 10am so we can shower before the 1100 service. As we enter the basin to the dinghy dock, we discover that we've left the bike seats on Interlude. Rats! Back to the boat we go knowing that we've missed our church opportunity. We get back to the dinghy dock (with our bike seats) and decide to skip the shower until the end of the day. Our first stop is at the Artisan's Market only a few blocks away. Lots of local crafts, some fresh produce and food vendors. All good stuff, but nothing we need. Today we packed a picnic lunch, so we search for a park where we can sit in the shade. The closest park is the Key West Cemetery so we bike on over and find a nice shade tree. We learned that as many as 5 people can be buried on one plot - 2 stacked underground and 3 stacked aboveground in crypts. After lunch we've picked out some open houses to visit. Seeing the open houses is like getting a free home and garden tour of Key West. We saw about 9 very nicely remodeled 'conch' cottages in the heart of old town. In the middle of our tour Bob's bike gets a major blowout. The rear tire has a nice slash and needs to be replaced. We have extra parts and tools on the dinghy but no tire. Luckily there's a bike shop that's open just a short walk away. While Lynn visits a couple of houses, Bob heads over to the shop. 15 minutes after arriving and $40 later, Bob's bike is repaired and we continue our tour. By now it's late afternoon and time for a libation and an early dinner. We decide to check out the Margaritaville Café on Duval Street. We're both old Jimmy Buffet fans and have never been to a Margaritaville restaurant. We're pretty disappointed. We split a gigantic plate of nachos that were mediocre at best. However, the margarita was very good. Before we head back to the dinghy we visit the Winn Dixie to do some light provisioning. At this point we're very glad we've waited until the end of the day to shower. It's been a hot and sticky day.

Monday, March 12, 2018

Today we're sequestered on the boat. Over the past 12 hrs we have a front passing through. We've got 20-25 knot winds and thunderstorms most of the day. There are some nice 2 foot waves moving through the mooring field and not much dinghy action. Lynn uses the day to catch up on her boat cleaning and journaling. I didn't do much of anything constructive other than untangle one of our lines attached to the mooring ball (that required a short time in the dinghy). I also pumped out the dinghy a couple of times with our hand pump just to keep the rain water manageable. We did observe a little excitement in the afternoon. I was on deck when a rowing dinghy with a small outboard puttered by. The man was steering and the woman was bailing (water was blowing over the bow). They seemed okay enough so I waved at them as they went by and went back below. About 5 minutes later Lynn and I saw that they must have capsized because they'd been rescued by another dinghy and their dingy was being towed (upside down). I'm glad someone saw them flip over and was able to respond. It was a noisy and bouncy night with the wind howling.
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 380
Hailing Port: Southport NC
Crew: Bob and Lynn Menches
About: Follow us as we make our way from Southport, NC to the beautiful Abaco Islands in the Bahamas!
Interlude's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 20 January 2018