Bahamas Adventure

16 August 2012 | Croton Point
15 August 2012 | Poughkeepsie Yacht Club
14 August 2012 | Catskills NY
12 August 2012 | Waterford, NY
11 August 2012
09 August 2012
08 August 2012 | 43 12.52'N:75 36.90'W, Oswego
07 August 2012 | Oswego
01 August 2012 | Mimico Cruising Club

Unstepping The Mast

08 August 2012 | 43 12.52'N:75 36.90'W, Oswego
Ray Barrick
August 8, 2012

We were ready to unstep the mast at 7:00 AM. Bernie is the Oswego Marina manager (and likes to wear Hawaiian shirts) was ready with the gin pole. The mast came out easily and we quickly installed the mast support, designed by Bill Spencer, into the deck partner and onto the mast step.

The mast was laid onto the cradle and then the wishbone boom was placed on its supports. Ed and I used ratchet straps to hold the mast and boom in place. I tied the hanger lines across the boom to support the sail, which was tied in the sail cover.

We had to disconnect one of the Bimini arms in order to swing the Bimini in place, do to a lack of foresight on my part. There is plenty of room for the Bimini and Dodger underneath the boom and mast, which is great on these hot and sunny days.

Vida took lots of pictures on our Olympus T810 waterproof camera.

The fuel and water tanks were filled and we pumped out before starting out on the canal system.

The Oswego Canal runs from Lake Ontario to Three Rivers where the Oswego, Seneca and Oneida rivers meet.

I'd love to upload some of Vida's pictures, but in Lock 8 (the first lock going south) and after taking a couple of photos the camera bounced on the deck and over the toe rail into the water. The lock master offered to lower the water, but said that there would still be 14 feet of water. I didn't want to take the time to don my SCUBA gear, so it is still there, along the east wall if someone wants to get it.

For those interested in fictional history we passed Pathfinder Island which was named after the character in the James Fenimore Cooper books about Hawkeye, the Pathfinder.

We decided to make Phoenix, NY our final stop and moored on the west wall just after Lock 1, the last lock on the Oswego Canal system. Not much to do in town, but we found Baseball Bob's for ice cream. Vida had a scoop of chocolate and one of orange/pineapple and I had raspberry. Very refreshing after a very hot day.
Comments
Vessel Name: MERCATOR
Vessel Make/Model: Nonsuch30 C 208
Hailing Port: Toronto ON Canada
MERCATOR's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
August 6-13, 2012
90 Photos
Created 11 August 2012