Sail Meridian

The beginning of our Grand Adventure... or folly... we'll let you know!

20 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
14 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
24 December 2009 | Brisbane, Australia
12 December 2009 | underway
22 November 2009 | Noumea, New Caledonia
14 November 2009 | Noumea, New Caledonia
07 November 2009 | Ile Uere, New Caledonia
05 November 2009 | Espirito Santo, Vanuatu
21 October 2009 | Aore Island, Vanuatu
19 October 2009 | Peterson Bay, Espirito Santo
09 October 2009 | Espirito Santo
25 September 2009 | Tanna, Vanuatu
11 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Viti Levu, Fiji
13 August 2009 | Navadra, Fiji
24 July 2009 | Malolo Lailai, Fiji
29 June 2009 | Yadua Island, Fiji
26 June 2009 | Yadua Island, Fiji
10 June 2009 | Savusavu, Fiji
27 May 2009
19 May 2009 | Whangamumu, New Zealand

Down by the Boardwalk

28 August 2007 | Santa Cruz, CA
Nancy
We woke up Monday morning, looked up at the hatch screen above our heads and saw about 15 flies up there looking down at us. ("Let us in!") If we'd had any doubts about hanging around Half Moon Bay any longer they were quickly dispelled. We decided to get the heck out of Dodge and quick. I had this fantasy that as we got moving (at all of 6 knots) the incredible force of the wind would blast those little buggers to kingdom come. Pathetic.

Sophie was already up and fed as we motored out of the harbor at about 8:30. Maddie was just waking up. There were some good swells hitting us on our beam and the ride was immediately pretty rolly. Sophie said she was starting to feel sick (and frankly so was I!) so I went below, gave the girls and myself some Dramamine, threw a breakfast bar at Maddie and dragged them up into the cockpit to get some air in the face and eyes on the horizon. That did the trick and several hours (and about a hundred games of "20 questions") the sea evened out a bit and we were able to go about our business without anyone having puked.

The winds were light and on our nose so we just motored the whole way. And do you know, those pesky flies stayed with us all the way to Santa Cruz! Well those that survived John's fierce damp-towel strikes, anyway. As we finally pulled into Santa Cruz Harbor there were just a few lingering pests- after shooing the last of them off our vessel we were finally, at last, fly-free.

The folks here at Santa Cruz Harbor are great. We radioed as we approached the harbor and although they were pretty full they found us a side tie, normally occupied by a permanent resident whose boat is currently in dry dock.

The next morning as John took a stroll toward the showers he met Jeff a fellow Ha-ha'er from Pepe. They talked for a while, Jeff is also from the Bay Area and was leaving today for Morro Bay. Later in the morning, as we were getting ready to start school, Jeff stopped by the boat and offered us the use of his car until he comes back to pick it up on Thursday. Can you believe it?! He just handed over his car keys. It was especially helpful because although the Laundromat IS walking distance, it isn't really when you figure you're loaded down with 40 lbs. of dirty clothes.

After school and laundry we met Pat who drove over from San Jose with Paige and Jack. She took us to lunch at Aldo's and then we all went to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The kids absolutely LOVED it. I had a good time too because it's probably been almost 20 years since I've been there

We'll hang out a few days here and then get ready to continue down the coast...
Comments
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 48CC
Hailing Port: Napa, CA