Merry Mac II Florida to POW 2023

Old Point Comfort to Deltaville

We left yesterday morning at 6:45 to take advantage of as much of the rising tide as possible and it proved to be a good decision. Although it was cold when we left we were rewarded with some added speed. We put out the job and motor sailed along Hampton Roads and into the Chesapeake Bay. When we turned northeast we got the full benefit of the tide and rolled along close hauled at 6-7 knots. The whole morning we each had theee layers on plus Chris wore sailing gloves but we were still shivering. We spent the day tacking back and forth across the bay to avoid pounding in the surf and get full benefit of the jib. Most of the day we were going 6-7 knots so we made steady progress despite all the tacking. In the afternoon the winds subsided a bit, the sun burned off the morning fog and the seas calmed considerably. By 4 pm we had pealed off all by one layer and the sun glare off the water began began burning our exposed skin. We pulled into the Deltaville marina at exactly 5 pm and fueled up before settling into our slip for the night. My inexperienced crew performed perfectly and seemed to be getting his sea legs by the afternoon. After we got settled and had our first glass of wine on the boat we showered and focused on dinner. There is a so so restaurant at the marina but a good one two miles away. We tried to get an Uber but none replied to our appeal. We were ready to give up and eat here when a guy we were talking to said he qas going to the other restaurant using the marina's courtesy vehicle. We said we had hoped to go there too and he offered to bring us along. We had a cocktail first with Paul after and his first mate Steve and the. We all went ti the restaurant for dinner together. By the end of the night we had two new friends and the four of us had consumed 8 soft shell crabs. It was just one of those fun impromptu events that can happen on a sailing cruise. Paul turns out to be an advertising executive who started at Grey Advertising and eventually started his own ad agency which he sold to Saatchi and Paul runs PBS in Maryland. We had a fun evening together and got back in time to crash at 10 pm.

Comments