The Adventures of Mighty Fine....come along for the Ride!

Back South to Marathon for the Winter!

29 March 2020 | Marathon Fl Sombrero Dockside Marina
12 January 2020 | Marathon Fl Sombrero Dockside Marina
07 December 2019 | Vero Beach Cty Marina
26 November 2019 | Palm Coast Fl
26 November 2019 | Palm Coast Fl
11 November 2019 | Rivers Edge Marina, St Augustine Fl
02 November 2019 | Lady's Island Marina, Beaufort SC
29 October 2019 | Osprey Marina
20 August 2019 | New Haven Vt
23 April 2019 | Rivers Edge Marina
23 April 2019 | Rivers Edge Marina
11 April 2019 | Sunset Bay Marina
30 March 2019 | Marathon Fl Sombrero Dockside Marina
21 December 2018 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Florida
28 November 2018 | Vero Beach City Marina
09 November 2018 | Rivers Edge Marina, St Augustine
05 November 2018 | Brunswick Landing Marina
02 November 2018 | Ladys Island Marina
29 October 2018 | Georgetown, SC
27 July 2018 | New Haven Vt, Rivers Bend Campground

St Augustine Time Again!

11 November 2019 | Rivers Edge Marina, St Augustine Fl
Craig Lewis | 75 and sunny
Well 9 days have gone by and we have a lot of catching up folks! After Beaufort we headed to Savannah and Thunderbolt Marina. Free Krispy Kremes every morning! Put on some fuel and a pump out so we would be good to go next morning on our way through the Georgia grasslands. Now that Hell Gate has been dredged, its not necessary to time your departure for high tide! We went through at low and saw nothing less than 12 ft...used to be 3ft! We were going to stop halfway but we were making such good time, we decided to keep going to St Simons Island....for a 90 mile day. We arrived in Hawkins Creek around 4:30 found a place to anchor after 2 tries..took Dylan to shore at the public launch. He was very happy! The next morning we went through Jekyl Creek at newly dredged low tide and saw nothing less than 8 ft.....used to be 3 ft! Seeing a pattern, dredging operations are the most we've ever seen on the ICW in 7 years! It was cold and rainy as we went through St Andrews Sound trying a newly discovered path that doesn't take you out into the Ocean and massive swells on windy days! It worked very well and we saw no big waves and just a little roll...much better. No white knuckling for the crew this time! I did forget to mention that we passed a huge car carrier Cargo Ship on it's side with 4200 Kia autos on board. She ran aground and tipped over 2 months ago and a decision has been made to cut her up in place rather than try to refloat her. An amazing site for sure. Anyway we continued on to ST Mary's Service Yard run by Rocky Smith....a great guy! We needed to be hauled out and put on the hard for a few days and this was the place. It is a great do it yourself yard! Great prices and very accommodating! We had to time our arrival for high tide because it gets very shallow at the UDock where boats are lifted by a crane and taken to a spot in the yard to be blocked up and supported. Rocky knows his stuff and Mighty Fine was lifted out around 3:15pm and taken to an open spot. We were able to plug in and live on the boat for the next 3 days while I painted the bottom...hopefully for the last time! And then waxed the hull on Thursday....needless to say, I'm a little sore! Thursday night Rocky put us in the cranes slings to get an early start Friday morning. Well it was raining cats and dogs Fri morning but we were determined to get to St Augustine, 74 miles away Friday afternoon. Some windy weather was coming for a couple of days and we didnt want to get stuck in Jacksonville. So Rocky lowered us into the water and we were off. It rained off and on all day but the north wind was at our back so we got a push all day....the bad news was we fought current most of the day and a 2:30 arrival at Rivers Edge Marina became a 4:00 pm arrival. One of the reasons we needed to get to St A was Donna woke up with tremendous pain in her upper arm Friday morning. We had no idea what was going on because she didnt remember stressing it. Mighty Fine needed to get to the emergency room in St A as she needed to find out what was going on. Been a tough trip for her so far! When we arrived in St A the wind was honking and 2 attempts at backing in to our slip failed so we went in frontwards! Our friends Dan and Kath Craig greeted us at the dock and helped the dockhands get us tied up. Kath and Dan loaned us their truck and off to the Emergency we went. We waited for an hour and finally saw a Dr. He decided to xray her neck and shoulder. The good news was no heart issue, the bad news was a pinched nerve in her neck. We were both relieved! After getting a high dose of Ibuprofen and some steroids, she has gotten better every day! Thank God it wasn't worse! We got back to the boat around 10 and Donna was able to get a good nights sleep! The next day Kath and Dan loaned us their truck again to food shop and let us get settled in. Then they invited us to dinner for some fabulous pasta at their gorgeous house near by. Yesterday I went to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch my pathetic Giants lose again! But once again, Kath and Dan invited us for a cook out with our old boating friends Joy and Ivan who were visiting from NC. We had a great time reliving old times and many laughs were had! Especially about the Georgetown Bahamas days where we all first met. Thanks again Kath and Dan...you are the best! Today was fix the leaky toilet day...there is always something on a boat. Turns out the pump on the toilet has a bad seal so $220.00 later a new pump is on order! Donna went in to town to see some second hand stores so you know she is feeling better! We will be here for 2 weeks at least...Donna still needs to have her stent removed from her kidney stone issue so whenever that gets scheduled determines how long we will stay. We do like this area a lot so its a great place to be stuck in! A final note is go see Midway! Great movie with amazing special effects...very appropriate around Veterans Day. Thanks all who have made the sacrifice of military service and especially those that made the ultimate sacrifice!

Fair winds and calm seas
Comments
Vessel Name: Mighty Fine
Vessel Make/Model: Mainship 390
Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vt
Crew: Captain's Craig & Donna Lewis & First Mate Dylan the dog
About:
We have been boating on Lake Champlain for 35 years and now we have retired and are heading to the Florida Keys this winter on our next great adventure. We are full time live aboards now. We will be leaving Pt Bay Marina this Sept.. Dylan the dog is our new first mate. [...]
Extra: Mighty Fine was sold July of 2020....she was a good ship and she took good care of us. On to RV adventures now!
Home Page: Cslewis2255@facebook.com
Social:

Dylan's adventure

Who: Captain's Craig & Donna Lewis & First Mate Dylan the dog
Port: Charlotte, Vt

Follow us on our journey up and down the east coas