Mighty Mandy

24 January 2013
02 January 2013 | Annapolis, MD
26 December 2012 | Chesapeake Bay
19 September 2012 | Deltaville, Virginia

Living and Working Aboard

02 January 2013 | Annapolis, MD
Erin / Cold & Sunny
Now that the holidays are over, work is starting to pick up for the two of us again. We are both living aboard and working from Mandy, and we're staying in Annapolis for the winter. We've had a number of people ask how we're both able to live, work and play aboard Mandy, and it's something that we're trying to figure out ourselves. I teach private guitar, mandolin and ukulele lessons aboard our boat in the evenings, and my schedule is just starting to fill back in. When my students come aboard, Bob heads out to run errands or continue working at a café to give us a little privacy. Bob works during the day as a private contractor for various mechanical design jobs, taking positions where he can work from the boat. As long as he can find an internet connection to send his employers updates, he can work from anywhere. Annapolis has a very convenient city-wide internet program that we can access from any anchorage or dock in the city, giving us the opportunity to make the most of working aboard the boat. Annapolis has a great music scene, and we are starting to perform locally as our duo, Rib Bone. As a guitarist, I can fit my instruments nearly anywhere- but the remarkable thing about our space negotiation is that Bob is a drummer. While living aboard our O'Day 22 in upstate NY, we kept the drum kit, guitars and Bose L-1 P.A. system aboard and were able to sail to many of our gigs. With a Bristol Channel Cutter, we have much more space- but we're quickly finding ways to fill it. Besides all of our clothes for 4 seasons, we have a mandolin, guitar, ukulele, drum kit (snare, high-hat, 2 ride cymbals, and huge African djun-djun as a bass drum), and our P.A. system. Even though there are things that we find daily and think "this could be done a little differently to give us a little more storage..." I personally am beyond impressed with how Mandy swallowed up all of our possessions in a way that we can access them fairly easily. Now we just have to find a way to fit two folding bikes and a bike trailer in there somewhere...
Comments
Vessel Name: Mandy
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol Channel Cutter Hull #32
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Bob Young and Erin Maloney
About: Bob and Erin are both musicians living aboard their Bristol Channel Cutter. They both work from the boat and perform as a duo, Rib Bone- an anagram of their two names. They both love to cook, travel, feel wind in their hair and the water in their shoes.
Extra: We have extensive information and pictures regarding our work on Mandy on our website- check out www.rib-bone.com

Mighty Mandy & Her Faithful Crew

Who: Bob Young and Erin Maloney
Port: Annapolis, MD