MiJoy Enjoying

09 April 2018
11 February 2018
07 January 2018 | Exuma Park
28 December 2017
24 December 2017 | Great Harbour Cay Berry Islands Bahamas
12 December 2017 | Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
02 December 2017 | Ft Pierce City Marina
24 March 2016
07 March 2016
07 March 2016
22 December 2015 | Great Harbour Cay Marine, Berrys, Bahamas
11 December 2015 | Great Harbour Cay
20 June 2015
11 June 2015

Buena Vista

09 April 2018
Buena Visa The Ragged Islands

We had been traveling with Dawn Rae and Kia Anne from Long Island up to Lee Stocking Island. We did lots of beach combing, collecting more sea beans and seaglass. We had a fish fry on MiJoy after one of the local fisherman from Long Island, Roger, returned from The Raggeds with lots of fresh hogfish and grouper. Neither Dawn Rae nor Kia Anne had eaten hogfish and enjoyed the feast. Dawn Rae is heading for the US soon so they were needing to head north. We went north with them to Lee Stocking Island where we did some hiking and snorkeling and Mike managed to spear three more lobster on the last day of lobster season. We celebrated Easter on MiJoy with pork tenderloin cooked by Mike, Stacie brought a lovely salad and Tanja provided vegetable medley. I baked a white cake with with icing and had sprinkles the color of pastel. Closest thing to Easter eggs that I could come up with.

We said goodbye to our friends as they headed north and we went south. We stocked up on fresh vegetables and bread and headed for the Jumentos and Raggeds, our favorite chain of islands in the Bahamas. This chain of islands is very remote, with most of the islands being uninhabited. A small percentage of cruisers go this far, which the furtherest cay in the Raggeds is approximately 65 miles from Cuba. It has pristine waters and beautiful coral reefs and great fishings/snorkeling.

The weather was picture perfect as we headed to the Jumentos. It was almost like glass on the water, which I enjoy but without wind, you don’t sail so you motor. (Captain is always disappointed when the sails are not out) As we were traveling, you could literally look down 20 to 30 feet and see the bottom. I have a picture in Photo Gallery showing the view as we traveled south.

We arrived in Water Cay and spent the night. There were 2 other boats in the anchorage. We headed for Buena Vista the next morning. We were having some furling issues with our main sail so we stopped in Flamingo Cay and Mike worked on it for about 30 minutes. There was 1 boat in Flamingo Cay. The main sail roller furling was stuck and it was very difficult to move the sail in and out of the mast. Mike was able to fix the issue and we headed for Buena Vista. It was another very calm day but we did motor sail with the main and gybe sail out.

We were hailed on the radio by Freedom, Brian & Kim, friends we had met a couple of years ago. They picked us up on their AIS (automatic identification system) and they were heading south to Buena Vista also.

Buena Vista is the Cay where one man lives on the entire Cay. We met Edward 3 years ago when we cruised there and are always fascinated by his stories. Edward lives alone on the island that has been in his family for many generations. He has chickens, dogs, peacocks and goats along with salt ponds. Edward has a family that lives in Nassau but he choses to live most of the time on Buena Vista. The last year we visited him, he was in the process of building his house. Unfortunately the hurricane last year destroyed his home. Edward was on the island when the hurricane hit and tied himself to a tree for 2 days waiting for the storm to pass. He said his dog stayed right with him and never left his side. Several days later, he was rescued and taken to Nassau. There was a Nassau newspaper article written up about him and his experience. Edward told us that his father had survived many hurricanes over his years and always said “No woman is going to run me off my island”. (That obvisously was before they started naming hurricanes after men and women)

When we arrived ashore to see Edward, he came out to help beach our dinghy. He remembered us and immediately started telling stories about us visiting him 2 years ago, which included the bird sitting on Mike’s shoulder and me taking their photos. (photos in our previous blogs). Edward also mimincked the harmonica and Mike pulled his out of his pocket. (Mike had given Edward a harmonica several years ago to learn to play) Edward went inside his little house and retrieved his harmonica and they played “You are my sunshine”.

There were 2 other boats in the anchorage that came ashore, Freedom and Paul on Sobrist. Paul Trammell is in the process of writing a book about sailing solo. He heard many stories about Edward and had came to interview Edward. Paul has published 2 other books which currently are on Amazon. Edward also mentioned that his son in Nassau is working with someone who wants to write a book about Edward’s life history. Edward has many interesting stories, which includes how his family acquired the island, his past drug running days and rescuing his brother in the jungle from the Columbia drug lords. (sounds like a James Patterson novel)_

Edward had 2 peacocks, male and female. The male was absolutely beautiful and put on quite a show while we were there, strutting around showing off his feathers. Edward said he will loose his feathers in a couple of months. (see photos in gallery)

We had a peaceful evening in the anchorage and the next morning moved our boat north about 2 miles Northto Nurse Cay to do some snorkeling, spearfishing and beach combing. Within 30 minutes, Mike had speared 3 fish and we had a great fresh fish dinner for supper.

Around 1pm, we pulled up anchor and headed south for The Raggeds. We have never been to The Ragged Island, which is about 65 miles from Cuba. It took us about 2 1/2 hours and we arrived in Hog Cay, which is North of The Ragged Island (Duncan town) There is 1 other boat in the anchorage. Duncan town was devastated by the hurricane last year and the town of about 80 people has been diminished to 10. (so we’ve heard) We will dinghy over in the next few days and explore the town and the many beautiful Cays nearby. We’ve seen some incredible coral and look forward to snorkeling and taking pictures.
Comments
Vessel Name: MiJoy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 2009 B40
Hailing Port: Seabrook, Texas
Crew: Michael & Joyce Wilson
About: Our sailboat, "MiJoy" is named after the owners , Michael & Joyce. MiJoy enjoying life!
Extra: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" - Mark Twain
MiJoy's Photos - Main
43 Photos
Created 25 April 2018
62 Photos
Created 23 April 2018
19 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 5 April 2018
29 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
25 Photos
Created 23 February 2018
21 Photos
Created 19 February 2018
38 Photos
Created 10 February 2018
Staying at Emerald Bay for few days waiting for weather to settle down. High winds and seas expected
10 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
19 Photos
Created 24 January 2018
9 Photos
Created 15 January 2018
18 Photos
Created 7 January 2018
Various snorkeling sites around Warderick Wells. Exuma State Park
40 Photos
Created 7 January 2018
12 Photos
Created 28 December 2017
21 Photos
Created 17 December 2017
10 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
17 Photos
Created 5 December 2017
7 Photos
Created 2 December 2017
23 Photos
Created 24 March 2016
19 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
5 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
23 Photos
Created 14 February 2016
20 Photos
Created 23 January 2016
8 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
"Santa" won the prize for the best dressed dinghy.
13 Photos
Created 25 December 2015
11 Photos
Created 22 December 2015
We took a short 3 day trip to Solider Cay from Great Harbour Cay, along with 4 other boats from the marina. There was a weather window for a few days & we took advantage of the weather to enjoy some snorkeling & island exploring. I found my first seabean & hamburger of the season along with several nice pieces of seaglass.
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
18 Photos
Created 11 December 2015
6 Photos
Created 20 June 2015
24 Photos
Created 11 June 2015
22 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
27 Photos
Created 23 May 2015
Spent 9 days snorkeling in The Raggeds This is paradise, for us.
19 Photos
Created 19 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 28 April 2015
18 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2015
14 Photos
Created 24 March 2015
4 Photos
Created 15 March 2015
19 Photos
Created 9 March 2015
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2015
12 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
9 Photos
Created 25 January 2015
5 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
2 Photos
Created 13 January 2015
12 Photos
Created 9 January 2015
4 Photos
Created 8 January 2015
13 Photos
Created 7 January 2015
Snorkel trip on Bruce & Joyce's Cat 56 "Mandalay" December 30, 2014 (Marathon)
6 Photos
Created 30 December 2014
22 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
Naples, FL
3 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
7 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
Ft Myers Beach
9 Photos
Created 24 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 November 2014
Mike's friend fron high school, Tom Kluberton, who now lives in AK
2 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
4 Photos
Created 13 November 2014
2 Photos
Created 29 October 2014
working hard to set sail soon, we hope!
6 Photos
Created 21 October 2014