Adventures with Mike and Claudia

Vessel Name: Sola Stella
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Lake Texoma
Crew: Mike and Claudia
06 December 2014 | Clear Lake, TX
30 November 2014 | Lake Texoma
17 February 2014 | Lake Texoma
02 February 2014 | Lake Texoma
31 January 2014 | Lake Texoma
26 June 2013 | Lake Texoma
12 June 2011 | Texoma
28 April 2011
07 April 2011 | Lake Texoma
27 March 2011 | Lake Texoma
18 February 2011 | Houston
15 February 2011 | Lake Texoma
04 February 2011
03 February 2011 | Lake Texoma
24 January 2011
19 January 2011 | Dallas, TX
Recent Blog Posts
06 December 2014 | Clear Lake, TX

Sola has arrived

Just got the news that Sola Stella has arrived safely at South Texas Yacht Service at Clear Lake. I don't know if boats are aware of things (sometimes I think they know more than their captains). I know I have always talked to my boats, but Claudia thinks I'm crazy anyway. If they do know what's going [...]

30 November 2014 | Lake Texoma

Heading for the Coast

Our last post from Lake Texoma. Sola is loaded on a transporter and ready to head south in the morning. We are taking her to Clear Lake to be recommissioned and a few odd and ends, such as a bottom job and moving the radar dome to the mast, prior to putting her back in the water. The lake is so far down that it was touch and go getting her out of the water. Thanks to Cedar Mills Marina for lifting us and swinging Sola forward so we could get the straps in the proper location. I won't miss Lake Texoma and the ridiculous Corp of Enginners, although I spent over 10 years there and learned to sail there. I will miss Tom, Karen, and all his family who put up with us and took good care of the Salty Dog and more recently Sola Stella at Buncombe Creek Marina, the only family owned Marina on the Lake.also we will miss Chap and Steffanie, our dock mates (wish you guys were going with us) Well this is new beginning for us. Hopefully by April we will retired and can start our cruising adventure.

17 February 2014 | Lake Texoma

Low lake level

We spent Saturday night on Sola Stella. Lake Texoma is really getting depressing. The drought continues and the Corp of Engineers continue to draw down the lake for the production of electricity. Our dock mates, Martin and Angela have decided to move Mystique to the Texas coast. This is making Claudia and I reevaluate when we will move Sola Stella. We have been planning on October, but are now talking about maybe spring or early summer, if there is no rain. Unless we get some real rains, the sailing on our end of the lake will be limited to the river channel. Our decision will be to move to Kemah or Mobile. Claudia favors Kemah and I think Mobile is a better choice. Claudia has complained about the bed being cold this winter, so we decided to install hyper vent under the mattress. Hyper Vent is a product designed for the tropics to provide ventilation to prevent mildew under the mattress, but we think it will also allow heat to circulate. In any case it wad easy to install and Claudia felt the bed was warmer.

02 February 2014 | Lake Texoma

Porta Bote

Porta-bote was having a big Super Bowl Sale, so we bought the 9 ft model to use as our dinghy when we go cruising. Was wondering if anyone else have any experience using one.

31 January 2014 | Lake Texoma

Preparing to Cruise

We are still working on Sola Stella, getting it ready for full time cruising about a year from now. To date we have added a new Raymarine C140W MFD, new digital radar and a great new 65 lbs mantus anchor. We are in the process of installed a Raymarine SeaTalkng backbone with a AIS transponder. We then [...]

26 June 2013 | Lake Texoma

New Boat

We haven't posted in a very long time and a lot has happened. We are now the proud owners of 2003 Jeanneau 43DS, which we renamed last Saturday as Sola Stella (Lone Star in Italian). She is in like new condition and we were lucky to find her, after searching the country. She was actually about 5 miles away, on Lake Lewisville, from where we live in Carrollton, TX. This will become our cruising boat, when we retire in about a year. Meanwhile we still have a lot to do before having seaworthy. I have begun replacing the 10 year old electronics. We will eventually need a davit system, life raft, water-maker, heavier ground tackle, etc. etc., but we at least have our dream boat!

Boat shopping

18 February 2011 | Houston
Mike
We are in Houston, looking at boats. Saw a couple of Catalina Morgans 41 Ft, one of which we liked the other not so much. Really wide beam, seems so much bigger than the Salty Dog. Also did quick look at a Formosa 47.Ugh! More to see tomorrow.
Comments

About & Links