Mile High Dream

17 March 2022 | The Saintes in Guadeloupe
12 March 2021 | Sandy Island, Carriacou
11 February 2021 | The Pitons, St. Lucia
03 February 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
06 January 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
24 December 2020 | Bay Gardens Hotel, St. Lucia
06 June 2020 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
04 May 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
20 April 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
01 April 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
30 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
22 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
10 February 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
27 January 2020 | Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadnes
18 December 2019 | prickly bay
09 December 2019 | Halifax bay
16 November 2019 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
20 April 2019 | Antigua

Dominica

03 March 2016 | Plymouth, Dominica
wet, we are in a rain forest
“Do you think these roads can get any steeper” I commented to the others three people in our tour group. “ I would have a really difficult time walking up this road. The wheels keep spinning out and we are on asphalt.”
My question was soon answered when the asphalt changed to concrete. They use concrete in order to put groves across the road to give the cars more traction as the roads get steeper.
Dominica is 16 miles wide and 26 miles long. It is one of the largest islands in the Caribbean with eight active volcanos. None have erupted in recent history but are all monitored constantly. The mountains are steep and the country side is lush green. A true rain forest not like the one in Antigua where we ended the day covered in dust.
We left The Saintes and sailed 20 miles down to Plymouth, Dominica. the predicted 15 knot winds quickly turned into 25 knots. The sails were reefed and we had a nice sail. There are three other people on the boat beside my self. One will be sailing with me all the way to St. Lucia and the other couple will leave after 10 days. The two are total newbies and are now hooked on the cruising life.
“This is our fifth day with you and we have only been moving or sailing on the boat for four hours. After today it will make a grand total of eight hours. Is this normal” Colleen asked
“It is for cruisers” I reply. “The idea is not so much to get there, but to enjoy the islands that we come across.”
We rode scooters all around the Island of Terre d’en Haut in Iles Des Saintes, checked out all of the beaches and swam in the most beautiful ones. The four of us took the dingy over to Isle Cabrit to enjoy some amazing snorkeling. The deeper crystal clear water was filled with colorful fish, waving fan corals, tall tube corals, immense brain corals and no one else there but us. It was a snorkeler paradise.
Happy hours with friends finished off the end to a fabulous day.
The next day we did a four hour cruise and reached our destination in Dominica. Here in Dominica we have had more wonderful snorkeling, stand up paddle boarding around the boat, beach party barbecue on the beach and more happy hours on the boat. My liver is going to need a break. Maybe tomorrow.
The island tour with our stoned taxi driver gave us a little more excitement than we really wanted. We did see the island, had lunch at a quaint little restaurant overlooking the Atlantic, and hiked to a jungle pool with a sixty foot water fall crashing down upon us to massage our bodies and make our heads hurt.
As we are having lunch, Chris looks at us and says ”we have really been traveling inland since took that last turn.” The three of us look at him with a confused look and then turn to look at the ocean next to the restaurant. He slowly turns his head and says ”Oh, I guess we haven't turned inland yet.”
Last August Dominica was hit by Hurricane Erica. The wind was not the problem but the 12 inches of rain in five hours was. People died, homes were lost, and roads were completely blocked or literally washed out to sea by the torrential rain. The roads are now passable but in terrible condition. You add this to steep curvy roads (the longest straight road in the country is two miles long), traveling straight up or straight down and a cab driver that needed a little extra hit in the afternoon to keep on trucking led to a most interesting day.
We made the decision to sail to Roseau instead of tempting fate with another cab driver to get Chris and Colleen to the ferry on time.
They sadly are leaving us and heading back to Wisconsin. We have had a wonderful ten days together.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mile High Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 400
Hailing Port: Dillon, CO
Crew: Greg Seebart
About: Greg has been sailing since he was 21. I grew up in North Dakota and started taking advantage of the constant winds. After selling my bicycle store in 2006 we got more serious about living our dream on a sailboat. Greg and his wife purchased Mile High Dream in 2013.
Extra:
Greg and Mary had owned Nada Mas, a 23' South Coast, on Lake Dillon in Colorado for 33 years. We chartered in the Caribbean and Calif. numerous times. We were excited to begin our dream. While waiting for a weather window in the Truks and Caicos, Mary died unexpectedly Jan. 6 2015 after a [...]
Social:
Mile High Dream's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2019
12 Photos
Created 18 December 2018
Mile High Dream Being put in the water in Grenada
5 Photos
Created 27 November 2018
A break from sailing
11 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Getting to the Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 7 March 2014