Mile High Dream

17 March 2022 | The Saintes in Guadeloupe
12 March 2021 | Sandy Island, Carriacou
11 February 2021 | The Pitons, St. Lucia
03 February 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
06 January 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
24 December 2020 | Bay Gardens Hotel, St. Lucia
06 June 2020 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
04 May 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
20 April 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
01 April 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
30 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
22 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
10 February 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
27 January 2020 | Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadnes
18 December 2019 | prickly bay
09 December 2019 | Halifax bay
16 November 2019 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
20 April 2019 | Antigua

This is for the birds

16 December 2016 | Bequia
Windy with rain


"Can I throw the line out and try to catch a fish," asked John.
"Sure give it a try."
The pink squid like lure was soon in the water and we had hopes of catching a nice Dolphin fish. Our track record on catching anything is really poor so it has become more of a joke than really expecting to catch anything.
The wind starts to blow and soon we are cruising along at 7 knots. We decide that we are only going to catch big fish that know how it swim real fast. We patiently wait like most fishermen do. Actually we turned the auto pilot on and soon both John and Zoe are snoozing as we cruise along while I am gazing out at the scenery. Mile High Dream gently rolls over the waves. We sail between Two Sister rocks and the nearby islands on our way to Bequia. As we round the point of the island everything begins to change.
The nice gently rolling waves have turned into very large ten foot waves. I look up and all I can see is a wall of water. Time to get a little more serious about sailing.
The fishing rods start going crazy and John awakens from his snooze.
"I think we got something," he says.
"What a rotten time for this to happen," I think. Wind blowing like a small hurricane, giant waves crashing over our boat and now a stupid fish. What else can happen?
"Uh, I think we caught a bird," John murmurs.
"A what," I yell above the crashing waves.
"One of those birds that was in the flock back there checking out our fishing lure."
John hauls in the bird and is able to get him or her into the dingy. He hasn't drowned it as he reeled it in, which surprises me.
"Hand me a knife so I can cut the fishing line off," He asks.
John is leaning over the dingy that is rocking all over the place due to the big waves, Zoe is behind John ready to grab him if he looses his footing, and I go fetch a sharp instrument to hand to Zoe. My mind is entertaining visions of cut hands, puncture holes deflating the dingy or a decappitated bird at the very least. The bird is alive and fortunately not trying to bite John. His wing is in a very awkward position with fishing line wound around his wing and foot. John goes about saving the fishing lure first which is quite typical of most fishermen. Hey those lures cost like thirty bucks or so. Then he starts working on the bird. He gets the bird untangled and it jumps into the wind and flys away. The bird was so calm about it that I wonder if this is a normal occurrence for him.
The seas calm down along with the wind and we soon arrive in Bequia, part of St Vincent. Hi nce we find where our friend anchored we head towards him throw the hook out into beautiful sand. Diving the anchor we see it is well buried which is what we want. There are some big winds forecast for the next few days so we want to be very securely anchored. We will spend a few days here waiting for the storms to pass before heading out to St. Lucia.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mile High Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 400
Hailing Port: Dillon, CO
Crew: Greg Seebart
About: Greg has been sailing since he was 21. I grew up in North Dakota and started taking advantage of the constant winds. After selling my bicycle store in 2006 we got more serious about living our dream on a sailboat. Greg and his wife purchased Mile High Dream in 2013.
Extra:
Greg and Mary had owned Nada Mas, a 23' South Coast, on Lake Dillon in Colorado for 33 years. We chartered in the Caribbean and Calif. numerous times. We were excited to begin our dream. While waiting for a weather window in the Truks and Caicos, Mary died unexpectedly Jan. 6 2015 after a [...]
Social:
Mile High Dream's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2019
12 Photos
Created 18 December 2018
Mile High Dream Being put in the water in Grenada
5 Photos
Created 27 November 2018
A break from sailing
11 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Getting to the Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 7 March 2014