Mile High Dream

17 March 2022 | The Saintes in Guadeloupe
12 March 2021 | Sandy Island, Carriacou
11 February 2021 | The Pitons, St. Lucia
03 February 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
06 January 2021 | Rodney bay marina, St. Lucia
24 December 2020 | Bay Gardens Hotel, St. Lucia
06 June 2020 | San Juan, Puerto Rico
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
16 May 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
04 May 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
20 April 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
01 April 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
30 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
22 March 2020 | Rodney Bay Marina, St. Lucia
10 February 2020 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
27 January 2020 | Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadnes
18 December 2019 | prickly bay
09 December 2019 | Halifax bay
16 November 2019 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
20 April 2019 | Antigua

changes

18 December 2019 | prickly bay
Greg Seebart | windy, windy, windy
“Oh the Times they are a Changing, ” a song made popular by Bob Dylan is all I can think about since my last blog. What started out as a wonderful sail and anchorage quickly turned into the opposite the next day.
Rounding the north end of Grenada on our 24 mile sail to Carriacou the wind and waves exploded. The predicted 15 knots of wind quickly changed to 25. Seas are crashing over the bow of Mile High Dream.
“Im going to have a wet bed tonight,” I say to Diane. “With waves like that the front berth is sure to get wet.”
“Is the hatch closed?”
“Yes but with these seas the water comes in through the anchor locker and soaks it from underneath.”
Diane looks in bewilderment at me. One of the design flaws on this boat rears its ugly head in heavy seas.
The Dolphins don’t seem to mind the big water. A large pods swims next to us and we soon leave them behind when something of more interest catches their attention.
We slog through for 6 hours until we finally reach Sandy Island, our destination for the night. The wind is still high and It will be difficult to catch a mooring ball.
“Reach over the side with the Mooring hooker and grab the line on top. Pull it up and get the dock line through the loop. It is going to be very difficult in this wind. The last time I was here it took three tries to finally catch the ball.”
“Ok, Ill give it a try.”
We miss on the first try and swing around for the second. Diane hooks the rope and tries to get the line high enough out of the water to run the dock line through it. I put the engine in reverse and nothing happens. I put it in forward and nothing. Diane has to let go of the line and we are drifting on a collision course with a big Catamaran. Scrambling to get to the head sail and get some sail out for some power, Mile High Dream smashes sideways into the bow of the catamaran. We untangle from the other boat and get enough sail up to move the boat away from the reef. As soon as possible we drop the anchor.
“Wow, that sucked. It is also going to windy tonight. Guess I won’t need to worry about sleeping in a wet bed. I’ll be sleeping on deck tonight.”
Going below, I find out the coupling to the propeller shaft has wobbled out and no longer holds the shaft in place.
“That was brand new last March,” I think to myself.
We make it through the night with some sleep and in the morning I pull off the coupling to find a replacement. No luck in that department so I email a mechanic in Grenada. He does some checking and cannot find one so he orders one in for me.
“Its a good thing we are a sailboat so we can sail back to Grenada.”
We stay four nights until the winds and seas calm down. One highlight was one fo the best lobster dinners I’ve ever had. Even with heavy rains we enjoyed it immensely.
The sail back to Grenada was beautiful. We are graced by two different whale sightings, and a very large turtle.
Mile High Dream is safe on a ball in Prickley bay after being helped by other cruisers to get securely attached to the ball.
Where is my Part? It’s Grenada Maybe time. The part is on the island but stuck in customs.
Island time, what can a sailor do? Just roll with the waves.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mile High Dream
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 400
Hailing Port: Dillon, CO
Crew: Greg Seebart
About: Greg has been sailing since he was 21. I grew up in North Dakota and started taking advantage of the constant winds. After selling my bicycle store in 2006 we got more serious about living our dream on a sailboat. Greg and his wife purchased Mile High Dream in 2013.
Extra:
Greg and Mary had owned Nada Mas, a 23' South Coast, on Lake Dillon in Colorado for 33 years. We chartered in the Caribbean and Calif. numerous times. We were excited to begin our dream. While waiting for a weather window in the Truks and Caicos, Mary died unexpectedly Jan. 6 2015 after a [...]
Social:
Mile High Dream's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2019
12 Photos
Created 18 December 2018
Mile High Dream Being put in the water in Grenada
5 Photos
Created 27 November 2018
A break from sailing
11 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Getting to the Bahamas
12 Photos
Created 7 March 2014