Grown Ups Gap Year

Now the girls have finished University it is our turn for a gap year! #grownupsgapyear

Vessel Name: Mirage
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 38CC - 1993
Hailing Port: Poole, Dorset, UK
Crew: Sally and Paul
Extra: After the girls had finished university we decided it is our turn for a gap year.
04 August 2020
29 July 2020 | Atlantic Ocean
25 July 2020 | Atlantic Ocean
22 July 2020
15 July 2020
11 July 2020
05 June 2020
29 May 2020
19 May 2020 | Atlantic Ocean
12 May 2020 | Atlantic Ocean
04 May 2020
11 April 2020 | Guadeloupe
03 March 2020
Recent Blog Posts
04 August 2020

Falmouth to Studland

We spent two nights on a mooring buoy in Falmouth but wished we could have stayed longer and had a slow passage home to Poole. However we are getting Mirage lifted out of the water as soon as practicable and we do this near to where we live. To get to the boat yard we have to go up the local river that [...]

02 August 2020

Azores to Falmouth - the arrival

With the final 400 NM we were typically doing 140 NM a day or better until the last night on the way to Lizard Point and the entry to Falmouth. The wind was around 20 knots for most of the time but the wave grew bigger during the first 200NM and became steeper once we had crossed the continental shelf. These [...]

29 July 2020 | Atlantic Ocean

Azores to Falmouth Update 2

Day 4 brought the strong winds we had been expecting but we had kept ourselves further south than the shortest route to help keep out the strongest. The day was a mix of drizzle and sunshine but still warm enough to keep the shorts on & we carried on sailing at a good pace crossing the 800NM to go [...]

25 July 2020 | Atlantic Ocean

Azores to Falmouth Update

We left just after 10am on Wed 23rd to sail the 1156NM to Falmouth. The weather did its best to give us a good send off but the wind was missing! We were waved goodbye by the boats from Praia do Vitoria and help with our lines by some friends we had met there. With the lack of wind we needed to motor [...]

22 July 2020

Terceira

We did an overnight sail to Terceira Island (Ilha Terceira) from Sao Jorge to ensure we arrived in the daylight. Our destination was the marina at Praia da Vitória. This is known to be the cheapest in the Azores but is also a good departure place from the Azores to the UK. The sail took us initially [...]

15 July 2020

São Jorge

We left Horta for São Jorge at 08:30 to sail the 22NM. We knew it was going to be a slow sail as the wind was light and we also only had the genoa which when on its own isn't the ideal sail for an upwind sail. With her clean bottom however Mirage didn't disgrace herself and we managed the sail in just [...]

Sally has her Birthday in Tenerife

09 November 2019
Paul Kember
After the passage from the Salvegem Islands we anchored towards the east of Tenerife at Bahia de Antequeia to get some sleep. With the sun fully risen and no phone coverage the next morning we inflated the dingy and headed ashore riding the surf as we went in on to the lovely black sandy beach! There was also evidence of fairly recent landslides that had covered the track on the edge of the bay and the abandoned harbour. We knew the only was was up and we followed a path from the beach that looked like a goat track. We saw goats as we climbed and also actually discovered that these footpaths at this end of the island are known as the "goat paths" from a group of German walkers. We climbed 500m, before we able to get any mobile phone coverage on, at times along a river bed, but generally a rough pathway. The views were certainly worth it as the photos show. Our mission was to arrange a surprise visit on our neighbours who were visiting family on the island. With the mission successfully arranged and a berth in the marina in Santa Cruz booked we returned to Mirage for lunch before departing for the marina.

Upon arrival at the marina we did the usual chores, arranged a hire car before meeting up with our friends on Otis for an evening drink and nibbles after a brief familiarisation of the port and adjacent areas of Santa Cruz.

The following morning with the hire car collected we headed off to the secret rendezvous at a shopping mall about 50km away. We crept up on Pauline and Bernie, with help of Judi and Don, and shocked them both by appearing next to them on a bench without them noticing. Their faces were a picture! Bernie then treated us all to lunch in a typical Spanish cafe in Tanaimo. During lunch we arranged to spend the following day with them leaving Judi and Don to catch up on their chores. After lunch we completed the circumnavigation of the island making use of the hire car (from Playa de la Arena) via Santiago del Teide, El Tanque on to the north coastal road of the island. It was very picturesque and the northern side is more lush due to the greater rain fall as a result of the effects of Mount Teide. Unfortunately we had left our camera behind so photos are very limited.

On the 25th, Sally's Birthday, we collected Pauline and Bernie from his brothers apartment and went on a road trip to a part of the island Pauline and Bernie had never visited. The road to Buenavista was a fantastic road with huge elevation changes, up and down, and many many many hairpin bends. The road was very narrow, with passing places at times, but this didn't stop tourist coaches from travelling both ways on the road and causing massive rolling road blocks! Why the island doesn't say coaches can only travel in one direction is beyond us! We couldn't stop at all the designated viewing places but the photos we have taken certainly show the road and scenery off. Both Pauline and Bernie said that they had never seen a road like this and probably wouldn't again in their lifetime. For lunch we stopped, randomly, at a roadside bar/restaurant and had what can only be called an absolutely amazing meal, thank to Paul, that was way too large in size. The place specialised in pork dishes and we all had to take a doggy bag home. Sally thought the restaurant very reminiscent of her time in Germany with even a jaegar schintzel on the menu. The afternoon involved a trip to a non-descript beach and seeing plenty on banana plantations before finally dropping Pauline and Bernie back at his brothers apartment with its view of La Gomera from the patio. Thanks to Pauline and Bernie for a wonderful time and to Judi and Don for their help and hospitality in the surprise. It made Sally's birthday all the more special.

On the way back to Mirage we met up with friends, Lorranine and Chris, who were on their yacht, Jobiska, for supper at San Miguel Marina. Lorraine and Chris have a Moody 38 as well and are also crossing the Atlantic this year. This will be their third crossing and we were picking up lots of ideas and tips from them during the meal. We eventually got home at midnight!

The third and final day with the hire car was used, due to the absolute torrential rain, to buy the heavy food stuffs ready for the Atlantic crossing and to top up the boats fuel canisters. This is much easier than by bike or bus. The rain brought a large amount of dust from the Sahara desert meaning the boat needed washing a second time!

The other major trip whilst in Santa Cruz was a 40 minute tram journey to the old city of La Laguna. This city, the previous capital city, is located 500m above the city of Santa Cruz. Originally Santa Cruz was the capital but due to continuous attacks from pirates, the Dutch and the British they moved the capital city to La Laguna for security. Santa Cruz is now the capital city again as pirates no longer attach the island!

San Cristobal de La Laguna, the full name, is the second biggest city after Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the full name, and it is an important historic site, so much so that it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its grid plan was designed in the 15th century and became a model for cities in the Americas including Cartagena de Indias in Colombia and Old Havana in Cuba.

The highlight of La Laguna is its old town we walked around which is a real step back in time and full of elegant buildings from the 15-17th centuries. The town has a particularly high concentration of churches and religious buildings as well as fine palaces and houses of the wealthy at the time.

Our first place to visit was the cathedral on the main square, the Plaza de los Remedios. The Cathedral of La Laguna was built in the early 1900s and its Neoclassical design was inspired by the cathedral of Pamplona in mainland Spain. Parts of the inside are from the 16th century and there are also some paintings by Tenerife artist Cristobal Hernandez de Quintana who lived in 18th century.

To the west of the cathedral we walked to Iglesia de la Concepcion which was built in 1502 and has a beautiful tower and a wooden Mudejar ceiling. Mudejar architecture is a mix of Moorish and European styles and is very prevalent in San Cristobal de La Laguna once you know what to look for! The church has a tall bell tower that we climbed and got some excellent views over the town.

After the Iglesia de la Concepcion we walked around the city looking at the many old buildings, that fortunately for us, even if in private ownership have information boards outside detailing their history and original use. What surprised us was the lack of tourists in La Laguna, but I suspect it may be to do with the long distance it is from the main tourist hotspots in the south of the island.

The remainder of the time in Santa Cruz was used to work on the boat, walking and cycling (including a trip to the golden imported sandy beach of Playa de las Teresitas). After washing Mirage (twice) we polished the topsides to give protection from the sea and the Caribbean sunshine and fully reorganised the insides of Mirage moving things we hope we don't need until the Caribbean and beyond into deeper stores areas along with cold weather clothing.

With a clean and full boat we left the marina Santa Cruz and sailed down the east coast of Tenerife on our way to La Gomera. We passed many of the places we had visited or seen from the hire car ending at a beautiful anchorage Playa de la Tejitas by the Montana Roja. During the sail we had almost continual views of Mount Teide, Spains highest mountain at 3718m high sticking out from the cloud. Unfortunately the rain had prevented us from hiking up closer to see her on the final day of our car hire......something for next time!
Comments
Mirage's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 22 July 2020
50 Photos
Created 15 July 2020
6 Photos
Created 11 July 2020
62 Photos
Created 4 July 2020
29 Photos
Created 22 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 4 May 2020
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2020
47 Photos
Created 11 March 2020
51 Photos
Created 3 March 2020
23 Photos
Created 13 February 2020
22 Photos
Created 6 February 2020
29 Photos
Created 1 February 2020
37 Photos
Created 25 January 2020
15 Photos
Created 12 January 2020
29 Photos
Created 11 January 2020
7 Photos
Created 11 January 2020
21 Photos
Created 11 January 2020
23 Photos
Created 20 December 2019
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2019
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2019
12 Photos
Created 14 November 2019
51 Photos
Created 9 November 2019
20 Photos
Created 27 October 2019
31 Photos
Created 27 October 2019
8 Photos
Created 17 October 2019
34 Photos
Created 16 October 2019
19 Photos
Created 10 October 2019
18 Photos
Created 6 October 2019
52 Photos
Created 29 September 2019
11 Photos
Created 26 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 24 September 2019
Nazare and O Sitio
19 Photos
Created 23 September 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
14 Photos
Created 15 September 2019
70 Photos
Created 14 September 2019
12 Photos
Created 14 September 2019
From Corrubedo to Foz du Minho
11 Photos
Created 12 September 2019
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2019
Journey to Cabo Finisterre and the visit
11 Photos
Created 9 September 2019
Ria de Camarinas
11 Photos
Created 7 September 2019
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2019
General photos of the crossing
8 Photos
Created 31 August 2019
The final loading and setting up for the start of the true Adventure
2 Photos
Created 10 August 2019

About & Links

Photo Albums
22 July 2020
30 Photos
15 July 2020
50 Photos