Miss Behaving

Vessel Name: Miss Behave
Vessel Make/Model: 2001 Beneteau 50
Hailing Port: Hebe Haven Yacht Club, Hong Kong
Crew: Kevin and Irina Shanley
About: Retired Australian Airline Pilot and a Russian School teacher.
07 April 2015 | MANLY, QLD, AUSTRALIA
10 October 2014 | Brisbane
15 September 2014 | East Diamond Cays
15 September 2014 | Not Mellish reef!!!
12 September 2014 | Middle of the Solomon Sea 305 miles from Mellish Reef
11 September 2014 | Solomons Sea
11 September 2014 | Ghizo
04 September 2014 | Anchored across from Gizo town.
28 August 2014 | Sanggighae Inlet, Soilomon Islands
27 August 2014 | North of the island of Bougainville
25 August 2014 | Heading south
23 August 2014 | 30 miles East of Kavieng
22 August 2014 | Kavieng, New Ireland, PNG
14 August 2014 | 95 MILES WEST OF KAVIENG, PNG.
13 August 2014 | 80nm North of Manus Island
06 August 2014 | Ninigo Reef 100 Miles North of PNG
03 August 2014 | 200 miles north of Manus Island
02 August 2014 | 300 miles from PNG
31 July 2014 | 640 miles from Manus Island
30 July 2014 | 170 nm East South East of Palau
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2015 | MANLY, QLD, AUSTRALIA

TEST

TEST

10 October 2014 | Brisbane

We're back

Well in my last blog I said that mother nature has the last word and she did it to us again. On Sunday we left Gladstone on the final leg of our journey down the coast to Brisbane. We motored most of the way to Pancake Creek, a lovely inlet West of Bustard Head lighthouse. The Grib forecasts were spot [...]

15 September 2014 | East Diamond Cays

Finally in sight of Australian Land

Well after giving up on Mellish reef and turning right we headed for Lihou Reef intending to heave to till daylight then seek shelter for some R&R. Having found the lee of the very large reef we settled in for a long sleep while hove to and drifting north of Turtle Islet which indicated an anchorage. Daylight shattered our picture of a quaint island full of nesting turtles. The island is no more. On the Eastern most end is an 8M high sand island with a light and SART beacon but not a green shoot. I went to start the genny and it didnt play ball and when I started the engine our cooling problem returned. All sorted with the engine but the genny is a wip so no airconditioners, bugger. We are now due to arrive at East Diamond Islet at 3.30pm today and will stay for at least one night while waiting for the winds to favour a route through the barrier reef. We are both well and looking forward to some terra firma. Love to all. Kev and Irina.

15 September 2014 | Not Mellish reef!!!

In Australian waters.

Hi all. Well the last 48 hours have been as much fun as riding bare arse naked on a bronco. We and Miss Behave are fine but I will admit to a few bruises. All went well till 100 miles north of Mellish reef then in a few minutes all hell broke loose with the arrival of a rainstorm hiding a squall that lasted 24 hours. 40kts and 6 metre seas so no fun. At the 80 mile mark to go to Mellish reef it was obvious we had been blown too far west to make it so I decided to 'make a run' for the coast so to speak. Immediately the downwind sailing gave us a well earned break but also means our arrival will likely be in Mackay now. Anyhow all well aside from the dozen or so flying fish that made bad landings on our deck last night. I will update when I see what the winds deliver for today. Love to all. Kev and Irina.

12 September 2014 | Middle of the Solomon Sea 305 miles from Mellish Reef

Update

Hi everyone. We are both well. The winds are being kind but the sea is confused making things just bearable. The boat is perfoming well. We have motored for 10 hours but I see no need to use the engine from here on. I hope you are all well. Love and best wishes, Kev and Irina.

11 September 2014 | Solomons Sea

We're coming

Hello. After the usual delay due to Immigration/Customs we departed yesterday at 0120Z. Departing Ghizo to the south was easy however all those beacons I was told my outrageous customs charge was to pay for were nowhere to be seen. It seems that every Yachtie visiting Solomons is outraged over the customs fee of 18USD per metre of boat length. Anyhow we made good progress overnight. When possible I am taking the easting as much as I can to cater for a change of wind but we are on track for arrival in Mellish Reef the morning of 16th. It is raining but we are comfortable. Cheers and love to all. Kev.

Hong Kong to PG

26 April 2014 | Puerto Galera
Kevin
After 5 days mostly motoring we arrived at the Verde Channel to be met with our first 'weather' 20 kts and short sharp 2M swells made the crossing fun. We arrived in PG at 7 am and settled in for a rest. The crossing was more like a continuous gourmet buffet thanks to the yummy food that Stephanie, Anne, Dolly and Lisa gave us. Carrot Cake, Chilli Con Carne, Cottage Pie, Lasagne, and Dollys delicious Chicken curry. We were spoilt rotten. On day 2 we crossed an upwelling where two currents met and immediately hooked a lovely Mahi Mahi. This was quickly devoured and next day on nightfall we decided to take the lines in and found we had two big Mahi Mahi. Thanks Andy for the lures, they worked a treat.
The solar panels are working overtime, the desalinator works and is making 20 litres a day with ease. The Engine Driven freezer compressor blew a hose and dumped the gas but we have the Ozefridge Freezer as the main unit anyhow. Scopoderm patches are working their magic and no one has been sea sick including Irina. Last night we celebrated on the boat with a roast lamb shoulder and Brunos bottle of Bollinger. Thanks Bruno it was delicious!!
Trying to check in with Immigration here is like trying to split the atom. After two attempts, one in PG and the other in Calapan we had to give up. The man with The Stamp was nowhere to be seen. Mark and Kara headed back today and tomorrow we try again to clear immigration in Calapan. Tomorrow we plan to head off towards Busuanga. Take care and I will post more when we get down to Busuanga. Kevin.
Comments

About & Links