25 July 2010
24 July 2010 | Pötinizer Wik
23 July 2010 | Pötinizer Wik
22 July 2010 | Potinizer Wik
28 June 2010
26 June 2010
24 June 2010 | Den Helder
22 June 2010 | Harwich
21 June 2010 | Ramsgate
20 June 2010 | Dover
19 June 2010 | Rye Roads
19 June 2010 | Brighton
15 June 2010 | Brighton
14 June 2010 | Chichester
03 June 2010
03 June 2010 | Fareham
05 October 2008
01 September 2008

Still here....

25 July 2010
After being all but ready to rock at lunchtime, we again deferred leaving - deciding to go straight to Guldborgsund/Nykøbing tomorrow morning instead, rather than calling in at GroBsebrode. We were both feeling a bit 'creaky' and backachy for no apparent reason so figured a row and a walk might be in order, rather than a blustery sail. So, after lunch we went over to Priwall, had a wander round the woods (spotting wild rasperries that we'd somehow missed on our previous trip) noted the fuel station next to the Passat side if Marina Baltica and then caught the ferry over to the town, and to check out the Trävemunde Week related stalls/stages. Lots and lots of food, a few tirnkets, a few blokes with acoustic guitars and a main stage with a waiting audience but worried-looking soundmen and a band that had wandered off to the bar in the meantime. We hung a round for a bit, but they were already half an hour after the time on the poster, and there was no sign of action, so we sadly wandered off again.

One thing we discovered today was what the mysterious ticket machine next to the ferry was for - it's tickets for the beach! Yup, they charge you for being on the beach (and not a token amount, it was 2 EUR something per person). We'd noticed the beach was pretty empty, despite a generous helping of strandkorben (beachbaskets - the extended wicker 2-person upgrade on a deckchair that are all over the Frisan and south Baltic coasts. I've pondered why we don't have them the UK, they are a brilliant idea- but sadly concluded that they'd all get nicked or set fire to). The charge probably explains why. The main beach is right in front of a set of hotels, so we speculated that they couldn't quite make it a private beach but they just charge non-guests to discourage them. Guests seem to get a beach pass included. Don't tell people back in the UK, they'll start doing it....

We successfully resisted all temptations of food from the stalls and even the fish shop. I was in a funny philosophical mood, in which I saw all gatherings of people (and towns) as being just about food, drink and spending money. I'm not impressed at that passing for enough to entertain you of a day out (or a life....). Since I don't generally participate in any of those for amusement, I do feel a bit quite a bit left out, and sometimes I feel that as not a good thing. I'm just not a good little consumer I guess. I wondered how many other people in the crowd even think of such things - or are they too busy actually enjoying their ice-creams and beers....

We eventally ran out of energy, so it was back to the boat where I made coffee and pancakes - intended as an afternoon snack, but I was surprised to see it was actually 6pm! Did a little passage planning, discussed characterisation in sci-fi novels, wondered why is it we've seen a fair few French films but few German ones, and I tried to express what I'd really like to do with this travelling about since the tourist thing really doesn't do it for me. And of course, wrote this entry!
Comments
Vessel Name: Molly Oxford
Vessel Make/Model: Heard 28 Falmouth Work Boat
Hailing Port: Fareham
Crew: Kirsty + Steven

Who: Kirsty + Steven
Port: Fareham