25 July 2010
24 July 2010 | Pötinizer Wik
23 July 2010 | Pötinizer Wik
22 July 2010 | Potinizer Wik
28 June 2010
26 June 2010
24 June 2010 | Den Helder
22 June 2010 | Harwich
21 June 2010 | Ramsgate
20 June 2010 | Dover
19 June 2010 | Rye Roads
19 June 2010 | Brighton
15 June 2010 | Brighton
14 June 2010 | Chichester
03 June 2010
03 June 2010 | Fareham
05 October 2008
01 September 2008

A day with Tom Cunliffe

01 September 2008
We had the pleasure of Tom Cunliffe's company aboard Molly - it wasn't the world's most promising day for a sail (blowing a gale in fact), but we managed to pack a lot in. Including, of course, everything going wrong that could - fortunately nothing serious, and could be seen an illustration of the points we were trying to show - which is that we think a lot of things could be done a lot more easily!

Tom was extremely helpful, and as knowledgeable as you'd expect! A lovely bloke all round, really :-). A few things we sorted there and then (the lead of the line on the bowsprit we use to snub/keep the anchor away from the hull, lead of the topping lift)

We went for a bit of a sail, practiced a heave-to, had a bit of lunch and sailed back.

Tom agreed with us that the weather helm is excessive. Thinking about this later - Molly used to have a much longer bowsprit, which would have given the jib more leverage. When that was cut down, seems like the boom and gaff were also shortened, and the mainsail recut - maybe they were not reduced enough? There is, unfortunately, not really any scope to rake the mast forwards.

After a very informative and useful chat, it was time for me to take Tom back to shore - of course the tide would be ALL the way out - which meant rowing the last bit. I'll blame nerves, but it wasn't my finest hour (2 minutes). Of course the outboard wouldn't start and I had to row all the way back. Which was tricky in that wind - kept blowing me to shore if I messed up all in my stroke. Still, i made it back (vowing to clean or replace the spark plug!).

We now have a good list and a notebook full of sketches.

The abbreviated list of improvements:

2nd topping lift (for which Tom kindly sent us a Harp Shackle that he had in his garage).

Lazyjacks (subject of a future post!).

Tackle to enable us to crank the bowsprit down harder, plus new, less stretchy rope for it.

2:1 purchase on staysail halyard as we cannot get it up tight (even with Tom's not-inconsiderable help).

Pin rail (bolted to deck) to belay halyards to and get them clear of the mast.

New string and parrel beads on the string that retains the gaff jaws.

New, much bigger, tumbler block on the gaff jaws.

A new, additional, smaller jib. Apparently our "small" one is actually quite big....

Proper normal reef ties!!! (YAY!!!).

Smaller prop.

Talk to someone re: Rudder shape (it looks very inefficent, apparenly ...)

There will be progress reports of how we get on very soon!

Comments
Vessel Name: Molly Oxford
Vessel Make/Model: Heard 28 Falmouth Work Boat
Hailing Port: Fareham
Crew: Kirsty + Steven

Who: Kirsty + Steven
Port: Fareham