Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

Day 5: Rum Punch in the head

14 February 2018 | Marsh Harbor and Sea Spray Marina
Calm Weather but a rough head
This day started out rough, and I'm not talking about the weather. The festivities from the night before had taken their toll and I had a screaming headache and little sleep. Maybe that's why the call it rum punch, because I felt like I'd been beaten the night before. I managed to rouse myself, take the golf cart over to Sea Spray Marina, and get underway slowly by myself. I cruised over to pick up an equally groggy Gelbuda at the Firefly docks, and we then crossed the short passage across the Sea of Abaco to Abaco Beach Resort where we found our imported women fresh off the plane, giggling, and drinking some very strong rum punch. Mary and Amber were excited to be in paradise, but thankfully they were tired from a long work week and travel day, so we zipped back across the crystal turquoise water and returned the boat to it's slip. Mary and I relaxed in our solar treehouse for the rest of the day.

That evening we got treated to another great round of music at Sea Spray Marina. Channing Wilson, Johnny Bulford, and Matt Warren all have diverse skill sets and different deliveries, but by the end of each song they played, I found myself singing along with their lyrics and relating to each song in my own way. The night got interesting when Mike Mills (REM), who had been living on a boat nearby for many months, was invited to sit in with Mark Bryan, who wrote most of the songs and played them with Hootie and the Blowfish. After the performances were over, most of the musicians and their guest were all graciously invited over to a well appointed mega yacht called Sweetwater, where the artists passed around a guitar on the flybrige, and everyone sang along campfire style. The combined level of skill and talent on that vessel was a sight to see and a joy to hear. I'd only known these people for about 30 hours, but as we all smiled and sang along together, it felt like family. These are the kind of hangs we live for.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018