Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

Savannah Splash to Chucktown

10 May 2018 | Isle of Songs
Sunny and Wyatt’s warmer weather
Blog Post 13:
5/10/2018
Mary and I made good use of our time exploring Savannah and working on various projects. We rented a nice Airbnb cottage near Forsyth Park, went to the farmers market, cooked some yummy meals, explored the city's parks and squares, ate pizza at Vinny Van Gogo's, got a haircut, and enjoyed a fantastic self guided pub crawl. Savannah is a great town, full of history and kind people. We had an opportunity to spend some time with our old friends from Costa Rica, Chuck and Mercedes Chastain and their kids. They were in town visiting family, and it was great to spend some quality time with them.

Underway Day 13:
As far as the Mombo, things went better than expected. The Suzuki mechanic Phil Dolan was great to work with and fair on pricing. He was able to get the exact engine we needed in record time. We also installed 2 new Suzuki engine gauges, which are amazing and modernize the engine diagnostics. We splashed the boat Wednesday, fueled up, and were underway on Thursday morning. The first few hours, I was breaking in the engine gently. The spring weather was beautiful and we took a detour to explore the Savannah riverfront and check out America's 4th busiest port.
I especially liked the old tunnel that leads to the Pirate House from the river. In was used to smuggle booze underground from the river to the pirate house during both the colonial period and prohibition. Under the British, they Shanghai'd and "impressed into service" over 1000 unlucky sailors at this spot. Basically one minute you were drinking in a pub, and then after being either "over served" or drugged, you would wake up on a ship at sea. You are now part of the Royal Navy! If you didn't like it, you were flogged until your morale improved.
As we worked our way North to Charleston, I was able to throttle up, and we were once again weaving through beautiful marsh lowlands at low planing speed of 25 knots. It's really fun to cruise through some of the narrow cuts, navigating on the fly. We saw too many dolphins to count. The wetlands in N Georgia and S Carolina are extremely healthy and teeming with birds and sea life. We stopped for lunch at Dufusky Island, where Mary worked for 2 summers while we were building the house in CR. After lunch, we had smooth running all the way to Charleston. The boat just felt great, like a barking dog about to pull a sled, she just wanted to run.
It was a long day, but we powered through rather than getting an anchorage and arrived in Charleston to a beautiful sunset. Then we found out our friends The Nth Power had a show that night at the Charleston Pour House. We met up with Ben Fagan, my 1st mate from the Gulf Stream crossing, and his girlfriend Laura. We had a lovely sushi dinner. Then we enjoyed a wonderful night of music, and had fun surprising our friends in the band. After a family style hang post-show we went back to the boat, a bit too late at 0200. The teepee tent was up in minutes and we fell fast asleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018