Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

Bobby’s Fish Camp to Turner Marine on Dog River

29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
Hot bayou and cool music
Underway Day 91:

At 0830 we pulled off the dock and backed off, releasing around 150 square feet of water hyacinth and logs that the river current had collected between our bows. We called ahead to the Coffeeville Lock and we only had to wait a few minutes before he opened the gates. He let us float in the Chamber which is always easier, but few of the lock masters allow it.

It was another beauty day on the Black Warrior-Tombigbee. As we approached Mobile, Alabama, the water became brackish and we were running through the bayou. It was nice to be in fresh water for so long, but we will be salty dogs again from now on. One of the railway bridges was down and we had to lower all the antennas to pass under the 10 foot clearance. There were quite a few channel marker buoys off station and along the shoreline. I’m not sure if this is due to a lack of maintenance funding, or tow operators struggling to turn their barges around these winding turns. With a little caution and common sense, this didn’t present a problem for us.

Mobile is one of the largest commercial seaports on the Gulf Coast, and we encountered heavy commercial traffic, including oil tankers, tows with barges, cargo ships and the like. There were lots of shrimp boats dragging nets in the harbor channel as well. The highlight of the day was to see the Navy’s newest destroyer being constructed in dry dock on the shore. It is known as an LCS or Littoral Combat ship. Littoral means close to shore. These Trimaran style ships a fast, stealthy, and just mean looking. They can also be networked together to combat a wide variety of threats, including anti-submarine, minesweeping and special operations. They are made of ballistic aluminum. It was really cool to cruise by and check them out up close at 28 knots.

Mobile Bay is very shallow outside the channel. There are many spoil areas, so we stayed in the channel and ran down south of the city, up into Dog River. I gave the boat a nice scrub and shine and did a few small projects. After so many nights sleeping in the tent, we were ready for a nice hotel, and our friend Maggie Smith hooked us up with an awesome discount at the Admiral Hotel downtown. Admiral Newman was very happy about this.

I watched the ND game at the bar, where the Lamb lollipops were amazing. We then hopped in an Uber and headed down to the Belle Fontaine Sand Bar to see our friends Albert Simpson and John Kulinich again. They played to a packed local crowd. The music was excellent, and we had a nice time getting to know the bar owners Michael and Marie. They are planning to do the great loop some day and we were happy to tell them about our trip and celebrate the one year anniversary of their bar opening. It was another fun filled day of dodging logs and massive ships in the in the bayou, with great football, food and music for the finish.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018