Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

Pirates Cove to Dog Island

03 October 2018 | Dog Island
Hot with a chance of shipwrecks
Underway Day 95:

We pulled up to the lift at 0900 at Treasure Island, which was about 300 feet away. Jim and his team were ready and waiting. We hauled the boat out of the water, changed the oil, oil filters, and gear lube, and we were back in the water by 10 AM. This was the fastest and most professional oil change of the trip. If I ever need a NASCAR style pit team for a boat, these guys would be top crew. They were very nice, fun guys, and we had an enjoyable conversation. Good boatside manner.

Mary had walked to town to run errands, so I motored over to the fuel dock, topped up on gas and water, bought an ice cream and paid my haul out tab. I then went back to our slip at Pirates Cove. After lunch there, we got underway and left Panama City in our wake. We passed through White City, and Lake Wimco. This section of waterway is remote, swampy, and primordial. It would be a very tough place to survive without serious Bush skills. It reminded me a lot of one of my favorite books, called A Land Remembered, which is about the early settlers of the Wild South. The history of Florida is, to me, in many ways more interesting than the Wild West. Spanish, English, French, Seminoles, Settlers, Slaves, Shipwrecks, and Pirates make this state very rich in history.

We joined the Jackson River and then the Apalachicola River. Apalachicola was where Dr. John Gorrie invented and patented a machine that made ice in 1830. It was originally made to help yellow fever patients. They are also famous for their Oysters. We passed several Shrimp boats, and cruised through the channel across the bay to Carabelle.

This section looks like a large body of water but tread carefully, especially at 28 knots. Just outside the channel, that wide expanse of water is only one to three feet deep! There were lots of shipwrecks as evidence of this. The picture above represents just a few of the sunken boats we saw in this area. The town of Carabele was very charming, salty dog kind of town. We stopped in to C-Quarters to top up the fuel again, in anticipation of crossing the Gulf Stream in open ocean tomorrow. We got an educated weather report from the lady at the counter. She does a lot of boat deliveries and advised us that it would be a bit rough for Mombo, with winds 10-15 out of the east, against the current, and 2-4' waves. I told her that I had no interest in being a hero, but that we would poke our bow out into the Gulf in the morning and see how it felt. We also bought some pre-rigged frozen Ballyhoo for bait. If it was going to be a slow slog in big waves, we might as well fish.

We headed back out of town and zipped over to Dog Island, which is a long, narrow, sandy spit of land near the inlet. It offers good holding, decent protection, and is a good jumping off or arrival point when coming or going across the Gulf of Mexico.

I took a picture of the beautiful sunset along with our location and posted it on Instagram. When my buddy Chuck Meide, the Director of the St. Augustine Lighthouse Archeological Maritime Program (LAMP), saw it, he informed me that on August 1, 1899 a hurricane drove a dozen lumber ships ashore, right where we are anchored in Shipping Bay. He had been here on a job investigating the wrecks, both in 1999 and last year. They've since been retaken by the sand again. It's always nice to have a maritime archeologist on standby whenever you want to know where you are anchoring!

The purple and orange sunset gave way to an unbelievably clear sky, and the most stars I've seen in years. The Milky Way was stunning. It was very calm. We set up the teepee and turned in early. I want to get a good nights rest and an early start tomorrow. It's always best to be fresh before a salty 90 nautical mile open water crossing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018