Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

St. Petersburg to Franklin Lock/ Okechobee Waterway

08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
Outrunning Hurricane Michael
Underway Day 99:

Today was a long, rough, and windy day. There was a small craft advisory in effect. We were outrunning the hurricane and the various no wake/manatee zones frustrated our progress. We were often headed into the wind, at low speed, which caused the boat to sneeze and blow spray at us. There were, at times, thousands of birds, flying erratically.

We cruised through Sarasota, and the Blackburn Swing Bridge opened right away for us. The Albee Bridge did the same. Venice was very scenic and the houses were very nice. The weather showed the hurricane passing directly West of us, offshore.

As we entered Pine Island Bay, outside of Ft. Meyers, we were hit with a nasty storm cell. The waves kicked up to 4-6 feet, stacked up like razor blades. It was blowing 25-30 knots with pounding rain. It was dark at 2pm. We plowed into it, taking massive spray and lots of water. We did not see, smell or feel any of the reported Red Tide with Cyanobacteria that I had been concerned about. A good thing, since we were doused in this water. We were safe but it was uncomfortable and frustrating, to say the least. I elected to take a short cut through a shallow but more protected area. 45 minutes later, our hellish ride was over. The Matlacha Pass Bridge opened right away for us, and we were clear of the weather.

Once we got into the Caloosahatchee River, things settled down and we were able to make good time. We arrived at the Franklin Lock, just before it closed and locked up only six inches. We grabbed a slip at the state park marina/campground for $30 and gave the boat a good wash down before cooking dinner and calling it an early night after a long day.
We were exhausted, but now safely out of the path of Hurricane Michael. Thank God Mombo is fast!
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018