Mombo Making Way

A chronicle of the adventures of Mombo, a heavily modified 2008 World Cat 290DC fishing boat, dive research boat, and a glamping live-aboard about to embark on a ~6000nm journey through the arteries of America on The Great Circle Loop.

14 October 2018 | Home
13 October 2018 | Daytona
12 October 2018 | Melbourne Florida
09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
08 October 2018 | Franklin Lock, Okeechobee Waterway
07 October 2018 | Magnuson Marina
05 October 2018 | Crystal River
04 October 2018 | Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
03 October 2018 | Dog Island
02 October 2018 | Pirates Cove Marina
01 October 2018 | Juana’s Pagoda
30 September 2018 | Lulu Buffet’s place
29 September 2018 | Mobile Alabama
28 September 2018 | Bobby’s Fish Camp
27 September 2018 | Heflin Lock Oxbow
25 September 2018 | Midway Marina
24 September 2018 | JP Coleman State Park
15 September 2018 | Florence Harbor Marina
14 September 2018 | Residential Anchorage
13 September 2018 | Honeycomb Creek Anchorage

Franklin Lock to Manatee Pocket, Mclane House

09 October 2018 | McLane Residence, Manatee Pocket
Safe Harbor with a chance of flying corks
Underway Day 100:

We may have set a new record today, having crossed Florida, from Franklin Lock to Stuart, in only 7 hours. It was as if all the locks and bridges were waiting for us with green lights. We woke up, broke camp, paid for slip, and were underway by 0930. The Denaud Swing Bridge opened right away.

We fueled up in LaBelle. This was the same marina where we stayed the first day I ever took to the helm on Mombo. I had purchased her in Naples in 2015, and my buddies Chuck, Justin and Jason helped me delivered her across Florida and up to St. Augustine. I’ll always remember how they had jumped off a 40’ tuna tower, doing flips and gainers into this Alligator infested marina. We all slept out in the open and got attacked by mosquitoes. Good times!

We continued to run east, away from Hurricane Michael. We locked up eight feet at Ortona Lock, and about three feet at Moore Haven. The locks here on the Okechobee are different than all the other locks on the loop. Rather than open sluice gates or windows to raise the water, they actually crack the gates open.

We traversed the Clewiston passage, carefully passing a very wide car carrier in the narrow channel. We went by the newly remodeled Herbert Hoover Dyke, which, unlike the famous Dam, nobody has ever heard of. Crossing Lake Okechobee was uneventful. There was some light chop, and I knew the way. There was one exposed wreck just outside the channel and a few hazards to navigate in the channel as we approached Mayaca Lock.

I had been concerned about the Blue/Green algae issues, which have become a major issue on this waterway, but we saw no sign of them on this trip. Once again, we had no wait at Indian Town Swing Bridge. We then locked down one foot at St Lucie Lock. The waterfront houses along this stretch are also beautiful. We ran towards Stuart through some larger water and heavy chop, but we made quick work of it.

We pulled into Stuart Florida, and I had officially completed the loop, having crossed my own wake from February. Since Mary didn’t join the crew until St. Augustine, however, I won’t consider the trip complete until we return to our house, where we started this journey together.

Either way, after another long day, it was a heartwarming and special feeling to pull up to Justin and Angeline McLane’s Dock. People who have read the whole blog will recall them from the Bahamas shakedown cruise. They had an ice cold bottle of Champagne waiting for us! It was a pleasant, unexpected, and very thoughtful surprise. I had only just finished tying the dock lines, when Justin popped the cork right over my head and filled the flutted glasses.

We raised our glasses for a toast. It was just a fantastic and heart warming feeling to be welcomed by such gracious hosts. I actually teared up a bit. We settled into their guest house, drank some cocktails, cooled off in the pool, and enjoyed a delicious home cooked meal. The conversation was intelligent and intellectually stimulating. Justin and Angeline are first class people. I’m grateful for their hospitality and friendship.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mombo
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 World Cat 290DC
Hailing Port: St. Augustine, FL
Crew: The Most Okayest Wife in The World
About: My wife Mary, LAMP students and Archologists, family, friends, neighbors, and the occasional roving band of musicians.
Extra:
Boat Modifications and Cutomizations: Twin Suzuki 250 Outboards, vectro flow offshore Catamaran hull, Coppercoat bottom paint, custom awlgrip top sides, Radar, Hailer, VHF, Searchlight, EPIRB, 6 man life raft, Offshore Med Kit, Cell Phone Booster, AIS receiver, ARB 12v Fridge/Freezer, .01 micron [...]
Social:
Mombo's Photos - Main
St. Augustine to Chicago section
71 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2018
50 Photos
Created 11 February 2018
A mash up of photos from the day the boat was purchased in 2015 until the trip and this blog began in 2018. If you were on the boat at this time, there’s a good chance there’s a pic of you here.
102 Photos
Created 8 February 2018