Living the Dream

18 April 2014 | Puerto Rico
10 April 2014
04 April 2014 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
29 March 2014
26 March 2014 | St.Barts
24 March 2014 | St.Marten
23 March 2014 | St.Marten
22 March 2014
22 March 2014 | St.Marten
17 March 2014 | St.Marten
15 March 2014 | Saint Marting
13 March 2014 | Saint Martin
03 March 2014 | Puerto Rico
26 February 2014
23 February 2014 | Virgin Gorda
22 February 2014
16 February 2014 | St John
13 February 2014 | St John

Havre Boucher

21 July 2011 | Nova Scotia
Stormy
Day 21 – July 21st 2011 – Havre Boucher
Doug wanted an early start so left the club at 08.30, well a fairly early start. He had decided we were going to go all the way to Ballantyne Cove today. Another long day but at least we shall be in Nova Scotia. Took hours to get out of the bay, overcast but not cold, water dead calm so I thought a good day to catch up on some work I felt better completing some projects that had been put on the back burner. It was foggy on the banks and we could not see any land most of the day. Around noon the weather improved and we sailed and motored along enjoying the peace, we travelled such a good distance that when we arrived in Ballantyne we tied up alongside a fishing boat and went and bought fish and chips, back on the boat to eat and decided to carry on for the evening across the bay to Havre Boucher a little bay at the beginning of the channel through to Canso. This should take about 4.5 hrs. and we would arrive about 22.00. The wind picked up and we sailed at around 7.5 knots for a couple of hours, very pleasant close hauled. Of course nice sails do not last long, waves and wind increased enough to start the engine and bring in the sail. We now were 2 hours away and spent the rest of the evening bouncing and rolling along, then the rain came. Pinot and I retired to the V Berth; she gets quite scared when there is a lot of noise. The approach to this bay is through a narrow channel, now the wind picks up to gusts of 35 knots and hitting is broadside, pouring with rain, visibility nil, dark. Thank you again Chart Plotter and Radar. The range markers were fantastic and there was a recommended entry line which was bang on. We entered the bay and anchored in about 20 knots of wind, anchor set straight away and boat swung around and settled. Thank goodness, pour out the Wine and Rum we arrived safely at 22.45. Thank you Doug. This has been our worse leg by far. 15 hours and 80 odd miles.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moma Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 39
Hailing Port: Ottawa
Crew: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
About:
Doug a seasoned and accomplished sailor met Cherry an ex polo player who was enjoying cruising the Ottawa River with dreams of cruising to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. [...]

Who: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
Port: Ottawa