Living the Dream

18 April 2014 | Puerto Rico
10 April 2014
04 April 2014 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
29 March 2014
26 March 2014 | St.Barts
24 March 2014 | St.Marten
23 March 2014 | St.Marten
22 March 2014
22 March 2014 | St.Marten
17 March 2014 | St.Marten
15 March 2014 | Saint Marting
13 March 2014 | Saint Martin
03 March 2014 | Puerto Rico
26 February 2014
23 February 2014 | Virgin Gorda
22 February 2014
16 February 2014 | St John
13 February 2014 | St John

Oriental

11 September 2011 | North Carolina
Hot and sunny
Day 73 - September 11th 2011 - Oriental - 35 01.495:76 41.744W
I needed to catch up on some much needed internet time and here at Bellhaven we have really fast internet so I worked until noon, it is hot and humid. I said our goodbyes to the owners and told them I thought this was the nicest stop over on our whole trip. Once untied we motored out of the harbour into the bay and across to Goose Creek, as we approached the ditch we were hailed by a passing trawler saying that there was a bunch of logs in the middle of the channel. We missed them and then into the ditch, another long canal. Out into Pamlico Sound, where the wind picked up and we were bouncing along for a couple of hours in short choppy waves, eventually the wind improved and were able to have a lovely sail round into the Neuse River and arrived in Oriental at 17.00, nice short day, the sun was shining and the town was so pretty at this time we could not see the damage. We were officially greeted by a very nice gentleman who told us all about Irene. Fortunately we were able to dock right in the town on the free docks alongside an elderly couple who had lived on their 1969 Morgan 30 for nine years. I spent an hour washing down the salt from the windows and stainless, this always makes me feel happy when Moma is shining again, little things are important. Cocktails were poured and we enjoyed the sunset, then over to the Oriental Marina for supper and a walk through the town. The damage here from Irene is dreadful; the streets are lined with garbage, mainly drywall and ducts from under the homes. The water had apparently come up nine feet; we have noticed here in North Carolina that all the homes are built close to and on sea level so they do not have a chance when the water rises of avoiding it. Most homes now days are built on stilts but the older ones are still at water level.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moma Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 39
Hailing Port: Ottawa
Crew: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
About:
Doug a seasoned and accomplished sailor met Cherry an ex polo player who was enjoying cruising the Ottawa River with dreams of cruising to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. [...]

Who: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
Port: Ottawa