Living the Dream

18 April 2014 | Puerto Rico
10 April 2014
04 April 2014 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
29 March 2014
26 March 2014 | St.Barts
24 March 2014 | St.Marten
23 March 2014 | St.Marten
22 March 2014
22 March 2014 | St.Marten
17 March 2014 | St.Marten
15 March 2014 | Saint Marting
13 March 2014 | Saint Martin
03 March 2014 | Puerto Rico
26 February 2014
23 February 2014 | Virgin Gorda
22 February 2014
16 February 2014 | St John
13 February 2014 | St John

Osprey Marina

16 September 2011 | South Carolina
Cool and overcast
Day 78 – September 16th 2011 – Osprey Marina – 33 40.874N:79 02.508W
What ever happened to the weather, we dropped 30o over the night, the wind picked up, lightning, black skies and a little rain but not like further north of us, where they had a big storm. I kept waking up through the night thinking I was so glad we had not anchored and were safe at a dock. After getting up and finding it too cool and windy to go anywhere, we went off and did some shopping, Walmart, West Marine and CVS. Everything is close by here: note to all who travel down the ICW this winter. After shopping we left about 13.30 and started along the canal toward THE ROCK PILE, we had been warned about this part of the canal and as we rounded a bend, I was reading that this area is too narrow to pass a barge and what do we see in front of us but a BARGE. The cruising guide also told us to call ahead to see if any barges were coming through, bit late but we were OK we had not got into the really narrow part. A bit nerve racking as we had chatted with a nice gentleman last night saying that a trawler had got stuck between two bolders and had massive damage, they also forgot to close ports so when the tide came up flooded the boat. Well we were on a hide tide so we sailed through with no problems. This stretch was very interesting, we went from huge mega homes to normal size homes with shoreside docks in swampy areas, these were my favourites. Must have gone under at least 12 bridges, well maybe 6 and opened two bridges before arriving at Osprey Marina. Well Osprey you win the best marina, yes, I know I was told by those who know but it truly is a very welcoming beautiful marina. It was cut into the swamp about 13 years ago and has not had to be dredged again. A peaceful haven that is so beautiful, we were given a welcoming package of information about the area plus little gifts of key chains, drink holders and cheese and biscuits and only cost $1 per foot. What a deal, Doug had even bought a cable for cable TV and we now have 70 channels. Chatted to neighbouring transients, red wine and steak for dinner what more could you want.
Note from Pinot:
Woke late as usual, what happened to the heat, this is cold, where are my coats??? Doug and I had a little walk, never quite sure who is walking who but do enjoy our time together, then back to bed while the folks left me again on the boat alone. Thought this was going to be a boring day but no, the road was very narrow and I could see lots on either side. No squirrels but every time a boat went past there was this bumpy water that hit the shore and I swear there were things in the water that I should be chasing. We got to this lovely place quite early for a change and had another walk and then I found this thing in the water that had a hard shell and head poking out, it would not come close and I could not reach it but it was very interesting and kept me busy for a long time. Gotta go Doug is watching TV and I should go and keep him company.
PS. arf, arf. woof at 7 to Ian
Comments
Vessel Name: Moma Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 39
Hailing Port: Ottawa
Crew: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
About:
Doug a seasoned and accomplished sailor met Cherry an ex polo player who was enjoying cruising the Ottawa River with dreams of cruising to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. [...]

Who: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
Port: Ottawa