Living the Dream

18 April 2014 | Puerto Rico
10 April 2014
04 April 2014 | Virgin Gorda, BVI
29 March 2014
26 March 2014 | St.Barts
24 March 2014 | St.Marten
23 March 2014 | St.Marten
22 March 2014
22 March 2014 | St.Marten
17 March 2014 | St.Marten
15 March 2014 | Saint Marting
13 March 2014 | Saint Martin
03 March 2014 | Puerto Rico
26 February 2014
23 February 2014 | Virgin Gorda
22 February 2014
16 February 2014 | St John
13 February 2014 | St John

Ponce De Leon

30 March 2012 | Florida
Warm
DAY 17 - March 30th 2012- Sea Lovers Marina - Ponce De Leon - 29 04.935N:080 56.133W
Doug wanted to be away early this morning as we were hoping to get to Daytona by nightfall. Let go of the mooring ball by 07.30 and headed off out into the Indian River, through the open railway bridge, we are following another Canadian Boat who had anchored close to us last night. They hit bottom, but were right out of the channel, dahh, they got off quite easily and we set in behind them. Before we arrived at the Haulover Canal we passed another couple of smaller boats. There was supposed to be a manatee in the canal but of course I never saw it. Through the canal and out into Mosquito Lagoon, last time we were here the weather was cold and very windy, today it is sunny and hot and the wind is heavenly, set sail and off across the lagoon. Doug found the auto helm was not working so as I drove he wandered around in and out of cupboards trying to find another belt. This is the most I have driven since being on the boat, I suppose I get bored with it, but it is something I should do more to get comfortable with being in control on my own. He did not find the belt. The boat that we had been following hit ground again, we pulled in our sail and offered assistance just as they got off. Out goes the sail again and they set in behind us this time. Think they thought it safer. As we got into the narrow part of the waterway heading toward New Smyrna Beach the scenery changed again. I am sure I mentioned this part before on the way down but it sure is a hunting, shooting and fishing area with lots of fishing camps, boats, trailer parks, small homes with fishing boats. Shallow sandy bars, we sailed on with a perfect wind coming west wind at 7 knots. We saw so many dolphins here just rushing around flapping and having fun. I am sure I got a photo of a manatee but doubt that It was. Eventually we got to the bridge at New Smyrna and passed through without a wait and then just as the intracoastal went off to the left, we noticed smoke. OH OH, panic stations, the engine was overheating and we stopped, threw out the anchor and Doug found that the water pump had broken. Our boat that was following very carefully passed and they seemed a little sad about leaving us and having to negotiate the next part before Daytona as there were lots of sand bars. We saw them very slowly moving on up the river while Doug got on the radio to call Tow Boats US. Derek arrived within 20 mins and took us to Sea Love Boatworks and Marina at Ponce De Leon. The 25 minute tow cost at least 2 times as much as the membership, note to all future cruisers. Tow Boat is well worth the cost. Mind you the stay at the Marina and the cost of the repair will be huge but that is the joy of cruising. We are stuck here till at least Monday before we can get a new water pump. I was going to change my ticket home on Monday from Palm Beach to Jacksonville so changed it to Daytona instead, I am sure glad I had not already changed it. Now we are here for the weekend, went off to get ice. Well if we got stuck this is a great place to be stuck. Ponce De Leon is gorgeous and we would have missed it if we had not broken down. The trees, homes and vegetation here are lovely, we wandered off to the lighthouse, there was a Tikki Bar in full swing, back to our marina and stopped to have an early dinner at the Down the Hatch restaurant, had a great dinner Doug had prime rib and I had stuffed shrimp, this may be the best food on our whole trip. Tomorrow the plan is to go to the disappearing island!!!! Apparently this is the place to go at the weekends and we are on VACATION.
Comments
Vessel Name: Moma Cal
Vessel Make/Model: Cal 39
Hailing Port: Ottawa
Crew: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
About:
Doug a seasoned and accomplished sailor met Cherry an ex polo player who was enjoying cruising the Ottawa River with dreams of cruising to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. [...]

Who: Doug Patterson, Cherry Stobie and Pinot
Port: Ottawa