Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

South to Portsmouth Virginia

03 November 2019 | Portsmouth VA
Mike
November 3, 2019 Sunday

The brisk cold air that greeted us in the morning made it only more imperative we make distance south rather than enjoying the beauty of the southern bay. Helped by strong winds from the northwest we did another twelve-hour day. This day motor sailing with both the main and jib up.

Being a beautiful fall day there were lots of sailboats on the water, some enjoying a relaxing pleasure sail, but many were fellow snowbirds headed south with us. We slowly overtook a dozen of the other sailboats as we rode the 15-20 knot wind and building waves coming from behind us. Not that we were a fast boat, we just flew more sail than the others.

The autopilot doesn’t like a following sea so Mike did a lot of hand steering while Sharon started dinner in the crockpot and got caught up on some missed sleep. The air was still crisp all day but the sun was bright and helped warm the cockpit some.

We rounded the light house at Old Point Comfort and entered the river at Hampton late in the afternoon. There was much less traffic on the river than in previous visits but we still had a few container ships, tankers and cargo ships we needed to avoid along with the tour boats. It seemed a cool day to go out on a tour boat but they were out here to see an amazing sight of the massive naval shipyard with row after row of grey ships with fancy names like 69 or 728 painted on their sides.

A very quick stop in at the Tidewater Marina got us 25 gallons of diesel to replenish what we burned rushing south.

Next, we had a little trouble getting a comfortable place to anchor off Hospital Point, the breeze and current coming from different directions the other boats anchored were swinging in a variety of different directions. We didn’t like our first spot so we pulled up the anchor and reset it just as the sunlight faded and just like Goldilocks said “it was just right”.

The strong northwest winds of the day had weakened as we had headed up the Elizabeth River and the evening was calm with the exception of the coming and going of the ships on the river. There was a giant cruise ship, Caribbean Princess, across the river from us guarded by a single police boat. Somehow it slipped out to sea during the night without us even noticing it going.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014