Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

Bear Creek

06 November 2019 | Bear Creek near Messic NC
Mike
November 6, 2017 – Wednesday

The strong north wind promised for last night didn’t arrive unit around four in the morning and by the time we pulled anchor it was blowing near twenty knots at six-thirty. The other boats in the anchorage were already underway and headed for the Pungo Canal.

Mike had hoped to use the sails in the canal but the wind was completely blanketed by the tall pines lining the canal so we motored along following the other sailboats as we enjoyed the remoteness of the canal. Only a few homes have been built on the canal, the rest of it is just deep pine forest or wide marsh lands where the slow meandering upper reaches of the Alligator River cross the canal.

After a few hours, the south bound power boaters came along kicking up big wakes. It amazes us that the canal survives the wakes over the years and that the mud banks don’t just collapse and fill in the channel. The wakes can be dangerous to us since the canal is fairly narrow and the boats pass close by but fortunately the captains all did a good job slowing down and we did the same so they could get by quickly. But even at a slow speed some of the power boats wakes gave us a good rocking.

About mid-day we exited the canal and came out into the wide Pungo River and the wind was there to greet us blowing fifteen to twenty. We raised our mainsail with one reef and let out the headsail with two reefs. Headed downwind we could have skipped the reefs but the wind was very gusty and forecasted for thirty knot gusts. We didn’t want to roll Monarch too far over as we didn’t have everything secured like we would off shore.

Mike really enjoyed the great sail which is something he can never get enough of and passing power boats were not an issue in the wide river where they could pass at a distance. The weather was cool but the sun was bright and the plastic cockpit enclosure panels kept the wind off of us.

We passed the turn for the town of Belhaven after deciding that crossing the open Pamlico River wouldn’t be dangerous in the current conditions. We had no problems making the three-mile crossing and soon entered Goose Creek where we kept sailing but with the motor running now to maintain speed. Over the years, houses have been going in along the river even though it is a very remote area. The houses are often built closer to the water level than we would think was safe but others had the living areas up a story. There are no real lunar tides in these sounds but a strong steady wind will push a couple of feet up into these creeks.

Goose Creek eventually turns into a canal for the last section where it runs into the Gale Creek and then the Bay River where it opens up into a large sound. We turned west leaving the ICW and headed for an anchorage at Bear Creek where we hadn’t been before. The entrance was S shaped and in the dark water you had to totally rely on the chart plotter to guide your way since there were no buoys or other navaids. Usually locals will put a few simple floats or poles in the water to act as guides but not here. However, the plotter was accurate and we had no trouble.

We may have dropped the anchor too soon as once we settled, we had a steady chop rocking us from the north-east which we could have avoided further up the creek. But the rocking wasn’t too bad and the breeze ensured the mosquitoes wouldn’t visit us like they had last night in the Alligator River.

Despite the rocking Sharon cooked up a great vegetable pasta and we enjoyed it along with a movie and a bottle of wine.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014