Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

Bear Mountain State Park

25 July 2020 | Bear Mountain State Park, NY
Mike
July 25, 2020 Saturday Bear Mountain State Park

In the morning we took a bike ride to explore the Croton Point State Park but first we had to find the bike trail. At first, we thought Google Maps was wrong and while we searched and searched the condominium complex that was part of the Half Moon Bay Marina, every path and gate to the bike trail was blocked off. We eventually doubled back and found that Google was right all along and we were on our way.

The bike trail and park were well done which you would expect in Westchester County and soon we approached the gate to pay to get into the park. The sign listed an entrance fee $10 per car but nothing about a bike. The gentleman at the gate told us twenty dollars, each, but he was kidding and let us in for free. The facility had a large beach and parking lot with lots of park land along the river where people fished and because it was Saturday, the park was filling fast. The hill I had seen from the water looked very man made and eventually we found the information sign that told us it was a former sanitary landfill that was capped with a meadow and that forty species of birds visit the hill.

Back on Monarch we cooled off before turning off the air conditioner and leaving the dock. The wind had picked up a little and when getting out of the slip I couldn't manage to get the bow to turn into the wind so I backed out of the marina. Not the manliest way to leave a marina on a weekend but a safe way. The bow loves to turn down wind on our boat but with the three-blade prop on she will go and steer easily in reverse. It reminded me of the scene from the movie Some Like it Hot.

There were lots of power boats and sailboats out enjoying the river that afternoon and we had a pleasant two hour trip north past Peekskill and into a narrow section of the river where the water had cut its way through the Appalachian Mountains and the only development is busy train tracks on each side of the river and Bear Mountain Bridge that spans the river. The bridge was built in 1924 and was the longest suspension bridge at the time in the world and it still is going strong with a large volume of traffic using it and the narrow road cut in the side of a mountain toward Peekskill.

We anchored in a cove at the foot of Bear Mountain just below the ferry dock that services the park and the Inn that sits up in the woods out of sight. Surrounding the anchorage were steep mountains of rock with lots of stone outcrops and mixed hardwoods. In the cove there is an island that is a bird statuary. Several power boats were enjoying the day anchored in the cove and numerous families were fishing from the ferry dock and the shore. The passing river traffic stayed on the far side of the river so the wakes were manageable.

The temperature was still in the high eighties but the humidity had dropped enough that the weather service had discontinued the heat advisory. We spent the afternoon relaxing, swatting the odd fly, and trying to stay cool.

Being in the mountains the sun disappeared early and we had a slight cooling breeze as our boat floated back and forth with the changing tides. With the sun went the power boats and jet skis, and fisherman and we had the place to ourselves. (along with the frequent trains passing by) We both felt more relaxed than we had in a while. We also had recently received word that the Erie Canal was now completely open, earlier than promised and we were now able to proceed without delay.

Even though it felt like we were in a remote location there was still plenty of light pollution but the haze had eased up and after dinner we were able to spot a comet in the north-west sky using our binoculars.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014