Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

Wandering Coconut Grove

16 December 2020 | Dinner Key at Coconut Grove Florida
Mike
Miami Skyline

December 16, 2020 Wednesday

I took a long row this morning with the water as quiet as glass under the condo buildings that line the shore and the skyline of Miami off to the north. The water is clear and you can see lots of abandoned objects on the bottom of the bay like poles and old moorings. A few fishing boats headed out and a sole paddleboarder moved silently off to the west.

At ten we loaded up the dinghy and went into the marina and walked the commercial section of Coconut Grove looking at the shops and bakeries, enjoying a cup of coffee with a croissant and an empanada. Last time we visited the commercial district it was undergoing a lot of major construction which now is mostly done leaving a large shopping district of fancy shops and lots of plazas to dine outdoors.

It was in the low eighties and sunny which quickly warmed us so we escaped the heat by visiting the local library. I wanted to read some magazines and news papers but I was informed there are none available during the pandemic. Beside Sharon and myself in the building there were two librarians and one very bored security officer and for a short while someone was using a computer. We used the library's wi-fi to do some Christmas shopping for our kids.

It took a couple of tries to find a restaurant for lunch and we enjoyed our food sitting outside along the busy streets where we experienced sensory overload after so many quiet days on the boat; trucks making deliveries, cars honking at double parked cars, and construction equipment. Even with the noise it was fun to watch the people out on the street enjoying the warm weather dressed in Miami sophistication with many flamboyant outfits; lots of hats, skimpy shorts, loud gold jewelry and a diverse ethnic parade of people most with no apparent rush to get anywhere but just enjoying the warm weather.

After lunch we stopped at Fresh Market and then the marina for showers and we were soon back on Monarch just as the sun was going down. I grilled a fresh steak for dinner with some backed potatoes and the frozen green beans we had purchased to keep the rest of the groceries cool on the trip back to the boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014