Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

Ida

01 September 2021 | Harness Creek South River MD
Mike
September 1, 2021 Wednesday

Eric came by in the morning in his power boat and picked up Sharon and took her to their house to visit for the day while I stayed aboard to work on the fuel tank project. With the serious weather coming in, Eric and I talked about moving Monarch up the creek and anchoring near the Quiet Waters Kayak Rental dock. A location that would be more protected and make it easier to pick Sharon up in the dinghy in case it gets too rough for Eric to bring her back up the river by boat and she could get back by car.

After I moved and re-anchored Monarch I went to work on the 1.5" rubber fill hose for the additional fuel tank. It was hot and humid and I as I struggled laying out the route for the hose, running up and down the companionway to make sure I had the angle right before I drilled a diagonal hole in the bottom of the lazarette. While I was struggling in the heat with the hose and drill, rain squalls started to roll in forcing me to shut the hatches and ports to keep the rain out. The marine radio weather alerts that had been alarming since yesterday with flash flood warnings now had severe thunderstorms and tornado watches.

After lunch the weather alerts were coming almost constantly as I continued to work while trying to keep track of the storm warnings. A warning came in for the South River very near me so I scrambled to get everything secure including the tools and supplies I had in the cockpit; caulking, screw drivers and a hammer, hose clamps, head lamp, hose, shop vacuum, drill bits and cordless drill. A weather alert reported a tornado was on the ground somewhere in the area and a thunderstorm that could produce a tornado was in Londontown which is just up the river from my location but was moving North-east away from me I hoped.

I called Sharon several times to see what her radar app was reporting but it was clear the time delay was too much to help me in this fast-moving situation. I turned on the boat's radar and was able to see the storms but not the intensity. I assumed the worst and braced for the next storm as the wind was gusting 20knots in this very protected creek. The rain became torrential but not a lot of close lightning. The worst had passed before I picked up Sharon at the kayak dock.

The weather alerts slowly came to an end and the storms that rolled through were just rain and an occasional burst of thunder. The worst of the remains of hurricane Ida had passed by four in the afternoon. Tomorrow is promising a cool north wind and clear skies.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014