Monarch's Big Year

01 November 2023 | Sisters Creek Free Dock, Jim King Park, Jacksonville FL
30 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Marina FL
29 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Anchorage
28 October 2023 | Fernandina Beach Florida Anchorage
27 October 2023 | Off Shore Off Charleston SC 32 12N; 80 48W at 2130 EDT
26 October 2023 | Off Shore Frying Pan Shoals
25 October 2023 | Cedar Creek Anchorage ICW MM 187.6 in NC
24 October 2023 | Pungo River North Anchorage NC near ICW MM 127.4
23 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
22 October 2023 | Elizabeth City Free Dock
21 October 2023 | Elizabeth City NC
20 October 2023 | Dismal Swamp Visitors Center Dock
19 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
18 October 2023 | Hospital Point Anchorage Portsmouth VA
17 October 2023 | Jackson Creek Anchorage, Deltaville VA
16 October 2023 | Mill Creek Solomons
15 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
14 October 2023 | Harness Creek off the South River MD
13 October 2023 | Selby Bay, Edgewater MD
05 September 2023 | Selby Bay MD

Getting Ready for a Visitor

12 August 2022 | Belfast Harbor City Dock
Mike
August 12, 2022 Friday

We dropped the mooring ball around ten and went into the town dock for water, pump- out and ten gallons of fuel and it all went smoothly with a very competent young man working the dock. A power cat was on the other side of the dock getting fuel and Sharon and a woman on the cat recognized that we had met before at the Dismal Swamp Visitor Center so while I took care of the fuel and Sharon filled the water tank the ladies caught up on each other’s adventures from this summer. The cat, “Bell Gatto”, was on their first trip to Maine and the information we shared with them at the visitor center in early spring has been very helpful for them and they have loved Maine.

After finishing at the fuel dock, we headed to a town slip which is a little expensive at $3.25 a foot but we wanted to make it easy for our son Andrew who was driving up from Boston to join us for the weekend. With Friday traffic we weren’t sure how late he would arrive so better to have a slip than trying to pick him up in the dinghy in the middle of the night.

We lugged three weeks’ worth of laundry to the laundromat and we started feeding coins into the big washing machines which were expensive. There were plenty of machines and only a few people around. I bought a pre-made sandwich at the Belfast Co-op and ate it at the picnic tables out front while Sharon finished loading the washing machines. I offered for a woman to join me as the other two tables were full and while we ate, I learned she had been in the area for twenty years and came into the “big town” of Belfast to do her shopping. She was from the Netherlands and had just been back this spring for a visit. Sharon came out and joined us for a little bit.

After lunch I watched the laundry machines and moved everything to the dryers while Sharon did some grocery shopping. Sharon returned with a load of wonderful looking vegetables and heirloom tomatoes and she help me fold all of the laundry.

We loaded up the groceries, some beer and the laundry and returned to Monarch. Sharon then did some more exploring in town while I straightened up the boat in preparation for our son’s visit tonight.
Sharon made a delicious chopped fresh tomato dish with lots of herbs and mozzarella cheese and we enjoyed it over pasta for dinner.

Andrew arrived around ten and it was great to have him aboard again. We shared some rum to celebrate his arrival as we sat in the cockpit and enjoyed the cool calm of the harbor while we talked.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monarch
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Legend 40 1988
Hailing Port: Mayo Maryland
Crew: Mike & Sharon Crothers
About: We left our jobs and have headed out to explore, starting with the East Coast of the US in our sailboat.
Extra: We are looking forward to exploring towns we have never been to or seeing familiar places in new ways, having conversations with strangers and making new friends, seeing natural and man-made beauty, history, and life.
Monarch's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2015
Coast of Maine, Islands, Towns, Acadia, Bar Harbor
No Photos
Created 27 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 1 May 2014
Leaving, Galesville, Wye River, St. Michaels, Solomons Island, Reedville, VA, Put-In Creek off Mobjack, Norfolk, Dismal Swamp
14 Photos
Created 1 May 2014