13 November 2018 | Brisbane, Australia
04 November 2018 | On Passage - The Coral Sea, 480 MTG, 650 miles logged
28 October 2018 | Honiara, Solomon Islands
21 October 2018 | Shortland Islands, Western Province, Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
15 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Pelau, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Luaniua, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Ontong Java Atoll, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
03 October 2018 | Choiseul, Solomon Islands
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
24 September 2018
24 September 2018

Lyttelton Harbour

21 May 2012 | South Island
After our few wild weather days in Akaroa we headed north around the Banks Peninsula on 20th May with almost no wind so it was on with the Iron Spinnaker. We were accompanied by Hector dolphins that are endemic to the area. They are quite small with unusual dorsal fins and an almost piebald colouration - almost impossible to photograph of course.
Lyttleton, the port for Christchurch is 50 miles (95 kms) to the north of Akaroa. We based ourselves here to see for ourselves how earthquakes have changed these people's lives - everybody has a story. Since the first earthquake in September, 2010 there have been thousands more, the other main one striking in February, 2011. Whilst we were there they had several, the largest was over 5 on the Richter Scale. It would not be easy to live with....check out this website for some graphics and stats http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/.

Lyttelton is connected to Christchurch via a tunnel that bores straight through the mountain and is over a kilometre long. Somehow it managed to survive more or less unscathed. If the tunnel had been destroyed we were informed that it would have meant the death of Christchurch as it is their lifeline to the rest of the world. Lyttelton is a pretty town and on the surface still appears quite normal. Upon closer inspection you find that almost all the commercial premises as well as the government administration buildings are closed and fenced off or have been pulled down. A large proportion of the residences are uninhabitable now. In the photo it is hard to see much that is different however more than half of the houses are damaged and uninhabited and many cannot be rebuilt.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monkey Fist
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: Paul and Frances Tudor-Stack
About: After spending over 20 years in the NT Paul and Frances returned to the sea in 2008. Their first trip was into the Pacific via West Papua and over the top of PNG and then back to Australia where they sold their old traditional boat "Sea Spray" and bought "Monkey Fist"
Social:
Monkey Fist's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.