13 November 2018 | Brisbane, Australia
04 November 2018 | On Passage - The Coral Sea, 480 MTG, 650 miles logged
28 October 2018 | Honiara, Solomon Islands
21 October 2018 | Shortland Islands, Western Province, Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
15 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Pelau, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Luaniua, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Ontong Java Atoll, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
03 October 2018 | Choiseul, Solomon Islands
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
24 September 2018
24 September 2018

Lucky or unlucky ?

14 October 2015 | Scenery Cove, Thomas Bay, Inside Passage, Alaska
Before heading into Petersburg we thought we'd check out one more glacier in Thomas Bay. The ice sheet itself no longer reaches the sea but is separated by a moraine field, about 500 metres wide. We tried our hand at crabbing and shrimping here but to no avail. We anchored at the mouth of Scenery Cove about 2 kms from the glacier in the pouring rain – temperature about 4 degrees Celsius. It was high tide when we anchored (there is a 4 metre tidal range) and unknowingly we anchored over the top of a huge sunken spruce tree no doubt carried down by floodwater. When the tide fell the top portion of the tree became visible about 10 metres away and it ran down to beneath the bow of Monkey Fist. Initially not seeing how big it was we thought it was a simply a floating branch and tried to pull it off with the dingy. On top of that we had been swinging around a lot on the anchor, moving backwards and forwards over the tree so all the ingredients were there for an anchor tangled up. With water around the 4 degree mark also diving on it was out of the question.

As darkness was rapidly approaching (of course) we needed to attempt to weigh anchor and see what we were up against (worse case scenario would be we would have to cut the anchor chain). So we started the engine and slowly pulled the chain onboard, counting down the metres left as we did so. To our undying relief it kept coming and coming and finally the anchor appeared on the surface – we were free ! What a tremendous feeling.

Due to the deep water it took us some time to find somewhere clear of the tree which was shallow enough for us to anchor (as well as clear of a number of commercial crab pots that were located in the area). However, we managed to do so just on dark and sat down and had a quiet beer....all good. We think we were lucky !
Comments
Vessel Name: Monkey Fist
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: Paul and Frances Tudor-Stack
About: After spending over 20 years in the NT Paul and Frances returned to the sea in 2008. Their first trip was into the Pacific via West Papua and over the top of PNG and then back to Australia where they sold their old traditional boat "Sea Spray" and bought "Monkey Fist"
Social:
Monkey Fist's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.