13 November 2018 | Brisbane, Australia
04 November 2018 | On Passage - The Coral Sea, 480 MTG, 650 miles logged
28 October 2018 | Honiara, Solomon Islands
21 October 2018 | Shortland Islands, Western Province, Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
15 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Pelau, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Luaniua, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Ontong Java Atoll, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
03 October 2018 | Choiseul, Solomon Islands
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
24 September 2018
24 September 2018

Eyeglass Assist sessions - French Polynesia

02 August 2017 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Well we've made it to Bora Bora and our 90 days in French Polynesia are just about up. We haven't posted any photos of our Eyeglass Assist sessions and you might be wondering if we have done any, and the answer is most definitely yes. We managed to run 9 sessions on four different islands fitting over 250 pairs of spectacles plus dozens of pairs of sunglasses.

While the people in French Polynesia enjoy a higher standard of living than most other Pacific nations, prices are very high as well. Their standard of health care is good and on a reasonably regular basis an ophthalmologist attends main centres in the archipelago and if the villagers can make their way there then there is no cost for the examination. The trouble is that the glasses must be ordered from Tahiti and they are so expensive that the vast majority of people don't bother consulting the eye doctor as they know they can't afford the glasses. We regularly made the point with people that visiting the doctor would pick up any medical problems that exist, if they were having issues with their vision. It was interesting to overhear the message as it was being passed around a village about our presence, the first question was always “how much do they cost?”. The reaction is normally a mixture of hope and skepticism until everyone realizes that, yes, we are telling the truth. As you can see from the photos, we left some pretty happy people behind.

Don't forget to check out our website at www.eyeglassassist.org and our planned project for the Solomon Islands next year, we need your donations to make it happen.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monkey Fist
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: Paul and Frances Tudor-Stack
About: After spending over 20 years in the NT Paul and Frances returned to the sea in 2008. Their first trip was into the Pacific via West Papua and over the top of PNG and then back to Australia where they sold their old traditional boat "Sea Spray" and bought "Monkey Fist"
Social:
Monkey Fist's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.