13 November 2018 | Brisbane, Australia
04 November 2018 | On Passage - The Coral Sea, 480 MTG, 650 miles logged
28 October 2018 | Honiara, Solomon Islands
21 October 2018 | Shortland Islands, Western Province, Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
18 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul., Solomon Islands
15 October 2018 | Bay of 1,000 Voices, Choiseul, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Pelau, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Luaniua, Ontong Java, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
14 October 2018 | Ontong Java Atoll, Malaita Province, Solomon Islands
03 October 2018 | Choiseul, Solomon Islands
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
02 October 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
27 September 2018
24 September 2018
24 September 2018

On The Edge - All's Well That Ends Well

29 June 2018 | The Duff Islands, Temotu Province, Solomon Islands
We stayed another few days, each day I would dive several times on the mooring lines to check every aspect and adjusted things where necessary. The weather conditions were so that we decided we were not willing to attempt to depart the anchorage. Leaving the boat was never easy but also we realized that even if we remained on board there was nothing we could do. The weather didn't improve over the next few days and in fact added to the mix, we had thunderstorms passing close by and overhead. I suggested Frances collect navigation and communication items (including Caroline's phone) and put them in the microwave oven (a strategy employed to save essential equipment in case of a lightening strike). Frances turned and saw the "what's next?" look on Caroline's face and she and Caroline laughed so much they ended up in tears.

For the next couple of days we spent a few hours each day doing "home visits" to elderly and infirmed people around the villages who hadn't been able to come to the clinics. Always a true honour. Father Leslie arranged a lunch for us at his house, which included such delicacies as crayfish and tapioca pudding. We also had an official thank you ceremony with some fantastic kustom dancing and singing and yet more local delicacies �- again arranged by Father Leslie. On the 28th, yesterday, with the help of Nicholas and Father Leslie we planned and executed an incident free exit from the lagoon. Frances, Caroline and I were all tremendously relieved to be in the open sea again.

As a note: where there have been health staff, such as here at Taumako, we have provided training to the local health staff as necessary to assess people's needs and determine the correct spectacles for them. We have also left them with a range of glasses to allow them to fit to people who undoubtedly will need them in the future.

To date on this voyage we have fitted and supplied 1,203 pairs of reading and distance glasses and approximately 3,200 pairs of sunglasses and we can't wait to share some photos with you.
Comments
Vessel Name: Monkey Fist
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43DS
Hailing Port: Darwin
Crew: Paul and Frances Tudor-Stack
About: After spending over 20 years in the NT Paul and Frances returned to the sea in 2008. Their first trip was into the Pacific via West Papua and over the top of PNG and then back to Australia where they sold their old traditional boat "Sea Spray" and bought "Monkey Fist"
Social:
Monkey Fist's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.