Max Adventure

28 September 2013 | Serifos
26 September 2013 | Kithnos
18 September 2013 | Corinth
16 September 2013
15 September 2013 | Galaxhidi
14 September 2013 | Entrance to Gulf of Corinth
13 September 2013 | Patras
10 September 2013
31 August 2013 | Preveza
30 August 2013 | The Meteora
25 August 2013 | North Ionian
18 August 2013 | Northern Ionian
07 August 2013 | Ionian
19 July 2013 | Ionian
28 June 2013 | Paleros
19 June 2013 | Vlieho
18 June 2013 | Vlieho
18 June 2013 | Skorpios Island
16 June 2013 | Nidri
16 June 2013 | Lefkada and Maganisi

Farewell to the Ionian

10 September 2013
Carole/Hot but not as hot
September is here and the time to start going south for the winter has arrived. But, before we go, we need to call in to Vlieho one last time. We have used ‘Velcro’ periodically over the summer; to meet friends, break a journey or pick up parcels. This last time was to pick up a big parcel – our new main sail from Pete Sanders back in the UK.

Our old sail has done well but is quite stretched now making unfurling a challenge and it seemed the right time to have a new one made. Pete had made new head sails for us before we left.

The sail arrived a day ealier than anticipated so on Wednesday 4th September we found ourselves in Min going to Vlieho Yacht Club to collect it. After stowing safely on Max we set off again to have dinner with Ron Glas and Jolli Jumper on shore. It was great to catch up with Sally and Tony again, the evening was much fun.

Thursday morning, bright and early, we took the old sail down. Then, contrary to our expectations, the wind got up and we couldn’t put the new one up! Mornings in Vlieho have always been calm in the past, why today it had to blow I don’t know !!

Dinner that night was a treat – a last visit to Ta kalamia to see Vangel and Isabelle. Ann and David also wanted to return and Sue and Al came with us for the first time. Vangel surpassed himself – the food and the number of dishes we had was astonishing, and all for about 30euros a head. Back home we would pay much more for that quality of food. It was a fitting farewell to the Ionian dinner.

Friday morning was calm enough to hoist the new sail, fantastic, cant wait to use it now, hope the wind blows in the right direction for us soon!

We needed to be on the Nielson pontoon on Monday for Phil to do some modifications to our stainless steel work so with the weekend free we headed to Sivota and spent a lovely two evenings with Adam and Camilla. They have many new exciting plans and it was lovely to share them and catch up – we are not sure when we will see them again but feel sure we will one day!
Monday saw our jobs completed and on Tuesday we headed to Sami on Kefalonia to meet up with Dragonfly ready for the sail to the Gulf of Patras and ultimately through the Corinth Canal. One last fuel fill up and a chat with the lovely George, who tells us he is getting married this month, and we were ready to leave.

We have had the most amazing Ionian summer idyll – but are so looking forward to the Cyclades, Dodecanese and then Turkey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Maximilian
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 47
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Ian and Carole Clothier
About: Ian and Carole are cruising in the Eastern Mediterranean, making the most of every day.
Extra: Currently cruising around the Coastline of Turkey

Max

Who: Ian and Carole Clothier
Port: Southampton