Moonlight Sue

09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Key West, FL
09 June 2014 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
24 May 2014 | Marathon, FL
24 May 2014 | Marathon, FL
24 May 2014 | Marathon, FL
24 May 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
30 April 2014 | Marathon, FL

Backtrack - A Quick Summary from Houma to Biloxi Part 2

21 May 2013 | Biloxi, MS
We left the holding area dock at Industrial locks at 10:50am......and got back to them at 11:06am.
The lockmaster had told us to follow the barge Esso into the lock, so we headed out behind the Esso. As we neared the Claude Ave Bascule bridge, Keith shifted into reverse to put a little distance between us as we were getting to close - and the transmission cable broke.
We got the Sue back to the holding area while radioing the lockmaster that we would not be coming through at that time. Fortunately, the Sue only lost reverse AND we were able to turn around to go back to the holding area.
After a couple hours of Keith taking systems apart, discovering the snapped cable and searching the cabin for anything to fix it with, we finally conceded and called BoatUS to tow us to Seabrook Marina located beyond the "GUI" on the Industrial Canal and just short of reaching the southern part of Lake Pontchartrain.
BoatUS arrived at 6:50pm, having to wait for the RR bridge (2 trains) and for the locks, but they got us through the locks and bridges and to Seabrook Marina by 7:45pm, just as it was getting dark.
And there we stayed for 6 days waiting for two new cables to be shipped in.
Of course, by this time I had had enough boat "fun" and wanted to go out for some "land" fun, so the second day of being at the marina, I called a cab and we went into downtown New Orleans.
I didn't have any internet connection (don't let Seabrook fool you. Unless your sitting right in front of the office, the wifi they have doesn't reach all of the slips), so I couldn't research on various places to visit, so we just had the cab driver take us to Harrah's.
On a side note, the cab driver was Dennis. A terrific, nice, pleasant man who was very helpful. But the cab driver who brought us back was horrible! I don't remember his name but his number was 450. If he wasn't fired over his treatment of us (we did file a formal complaint), than specifically ask that you do not get this driver. He was rude, yelling at us and threatened to toss us out of his cab - all because Keith attempted to tell him how to get back to the marina. When I go out, I must use a cane if I walk any distances, so I had my cane with me. After all the walking we did, I wasn't in the best of shape physically and Keith was just concerned about getting me back to the boat, so he groveled an apology to the man. Of course, this didn't set well with me, watching Keith have to do that, so I was pleasant until we arrived at the marina. I told the man that no one talked to my husband like that and that I would call and file a complaint with the cab company in the morning. He began to yell at me. He even rolled down the passenger window to continue yelling as we walked to the gate. Oooo....he made me soooo mad.
Anyway, we did have a great time in New Orleans. We discovered we were only about a block from the French Quarter, so we left the casino and walked through the French Quarter, passing by Jackson Square and going to Pat O'Brien's for dinner and drinks. Keith had always wanted to go into Pat O'Brien's from the time he was a young boy and his mother had gone in, leaving him to wait in the car, so she could see her sister, Myrle, who was playing piano there.
Vessel Name: Moonlight Sue
Vessel Make/Model: 1981 Cherubini Hunter 357
Hailing Port: Port Isabel, Texas
Crew: Keith & Carol
About: We are former professional drivers. We have lived on our 36' Sloop since 2005.
Extra: We control our destiny and the time within it. We answer to one thing and one thing only - what the seas tell us.

About Us

Who: Keith & Carol
Port: Port Isabel, Texas